• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

I installed the update to RM7 but the program will still not allow me to back up to a folder nominated in Program Options/Folders.  RM7 created an error report which I have forwarded.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Where is the folder located on your computer that it will not let you backup too?  What was the exact error message? I may not need the full report if the error message is clear enough. So just the pop-up before sending the report.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

Did you just type in a folder name or did you browse to the folder and select it when setting the option? If the folder does not exist, RootsMagic does not create it. At least, that is how it used to be.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

I tried to paste a screen shot of the error message but it won't let me.  It gives no details of the error itself, just says "Roots Magic has encountered an unexpected error: Cannot open file "C:\Users\[my name]\Google Drive\Roots M..... that's all that is visible in the header.  Then it goes on "Please tell Roots Magic about this problem.  We have created an error report....." and I'm sure you know the rest.

I identified the folder by browsing for it.  I have been using it since RM5 for backups.

#5 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

One thing I have found:  the problem with backups only occurs with GEDCOM imports or when I directly import a TMG project.  If I restore a previous backup from RM6, it will make a backup in RM7 without difficulty.  Hope this helps.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but, did you run Database tools in the File menu?

Do them in order.

#7 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:36 AM

I'm not sure how running Database tools will affect backing up, but I ran them and still have the problem.

#8 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:48 AM

I have now had some limited success with creating a backup in RM7.  I opened RM6 and created a new file by directly importing a TMG project.  This has always worked satisfactorily.  I then closed RM6 and, when prompted, backed up the project to the selected folder in my Google Drive, with the expected message that back up was in progress, then that it had been successful, and the program closed.  I then opened RM7, restored the backup just made, and then closed the program.  I received the prompt to back up, which I did to the same selected folder, but there was no message to say the backup was in progress.  There was an extremely fast "flash" of some kind of message window which was too fast to make out what it was, and then the program closed.  I reopened RM7, restored the backup just made in RM7 and it worked.

However, I am still left with the problem that (i) a direct import from TMG into RM7 will not allow backups to be made and (ii) that a restored file in RM7 does backup but there is no message to say it has done so before the program closes, (iii) backing up a file without closing the program works but, as in (ii) there is no message displayed.

As backups are crucial, and currently unavailable, I am seriously considering ditching RM7 and requesting a refund of my purchase price.  Maybe when the problems are solved I will consider RM7 but, for the time being, I'll stick with RM6.

#9 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:08 AM

RuthA ref I received the prompt to back up, which I did to the same selected folder, but there was no message to say the backup was in progress.  There was an extremely fast "flash" of some kind of message window which was too fast to make out what it was, and then the program closed.  I reopened RM7, restored the backup just made in RM7 and it worked.

That flash message above is advising backup completed not like RM 6 where it came on the screen at completion to click on the screen ok

#10 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:26 AM

I have no way of knowing what the flash message said as it lasts less than half a second..... no point in displaying something that can't be seen!

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:26 AM

The point is that perhaps you have been successfully making backups from RM7 all along. Maybe it was the elimination of the OK button from the "successful" backup message causing it to flash by that misled you into thinking no backup had been made. The reason for this trivially easy change was stated somewhere but I don't recall what it was or that it had legs. Change for the sake of appearances?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

No, backups hadn't been made as they are not in the nominated folder (or anywhere else) when I check.   It has been my practice always to check that backups are where they're supposed to be, in all programs I use.  I would prefer the prog to tell me that it has successfully made a backup, as in RM6.  I am not a "techy" - only an end user - so need the reassurance that everything is working properly without my having to tweak things all the time. :wacko:

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

Very strange. I think that if the backup procedure detected that it had failed, you would see a warning message, as you did initially. In RM7, what is the setting that you have in Tools > Program Options > Folders > Backup?

Have you tried searching for *.rmgb in Windows File Explorer on your entire drive?

If you get the error message again, you can post a screenshot of it here by pasting into the dialog popped up by the image icon the direct link to the image file which you have to upload to a webhost such as postimage.org.

#14 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

Yes, done that too.  But I'm also getting the error messages that say they can't find my nominated backup file.

My backup file details are c:\Users\Ruth\Google Drive\Roots Magic Backup and Exports.  It worked fine in RM6.  I've tried taking a screen shot of the error message but while it copies to my clipboard, it won't paste directly here.  I can't even post a link from my Dropbox.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

The need to click OK after a backup was made was removed in RM7. That was an enhancement request in our tracking system. The small flash is the progress screen that we decided to leave in there so people could visually see it was completed. Enhancement requests are so hard because everyone has a different opinion on how things should work. If the backup was not completed then you would get a warning message.

Check and make sure that RootsMagic 7 has access to the internet. Maybe your Google Drive is requiring that.  If you still can't see that RootsMagic made the backup then call into support so they can remotely view your computer.

Phone: 800-766-8762 or 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

The need to click OK after a backup was made was removed in RM7. That was an enhancement request in our tracking system. 

Since I sometimes feel like I whine too much, let me give Renee and RootsMagic a little support on this one. As long as there is a warning message that doesn't go away in the event of a backup failure, I think getting rid of the need to click OK after a successful backup is a big improvement. The first 999 times I have to click ok after a successful backup it's ok. After that, it's just overkill and I don't want to have to click ok anymore.

With respect to RuthA's problem, here is a slightly different idea. You don't have to wait until you exit the program to do a backup. You can do a backup any time. Suppose you open one of the RM databases that can't be backed up when you exit, and just do a backup without exiting. What happens?

On my database, the process actually looks almost like nothing happens. There is a three or four second delay while the backup is taking place, and then the "backup complete" flickers so quickly that I can't read it - I just see the flicker. But more importantly, and I can look at the designated folder from Windows Explorer without even exiting RM and the backup I just made is there. It's hard to see how it could be otherwise. If the backup succeeds, you get the flicker. If the backup fails, you get an error message that sticks to the screen.

Here are some things to check. When you force the backup to happen with File->Backup, it will show you where it's planning to put the backup. Does this location correspond to where you think the backup is supposed to be going? If you do the backup operation a second time, do you get the message that says a backup with this name already exists? You should get this message if the previous backup succeeded.

Hope that might help a little.

Jerry

#17 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

If you have a USB memory stick or a camera memory card with a write-lock switch, make it write locked, and do a backup to that  device.  It should fail.

This test would demonstrate the correct backup failure message from RM.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this.

#18 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

I should have tested my procedure before I wrote about it.

A backup to a SDHC camera card worked fine.

1] I removed the card and moved the write lock switch to the LOCKED position.

2] I then tried another backup to the SDHC card with a backup file name of "LOCKED" specified.  Something flashed on the screen.  There was no error message.

3] I then used Windows Explorer to check the SDHC card.  There was no file LOCKED.RMGB on the card.

4] I then tried to copy a photo to the card with Windows Explorer.  It failed with an error message as expected.

Conclusion: RootsMagic Version 7 needs a little more error checking.

#19 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Further testing with RootsMagic Versions 4, 5, and 6 with attempts to do a backup to a write locked SDHC memory card all gave the following error message:

"Rootsmagic was unable to create the backup file"

Microsoft Word gives the error message:

"Disk J: is write protected Files can't be saved on a write-protected disk"

For a little history on write locking, Digital Equipment Corporation [DEC] used removable disk cartridges on RK05 [2.4 mb], RL01 [5 mb], and RL02 [10mb] drives in the 1970's and 1980's.  All of these drives had a write lock switch.  The activated switch protected whatever disk cartridge that was in the drive.  The operating system RT11 would boot from a write protected cartridge.  The multiuser RSM11M failed to boot if the system disk was write protected.  Modcomp had a drive [don't remember the type] with a switch to write protect the first few tracks on the disk.

#20 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:14 AM

Look.  This is getting really silly.  I am not a beta tester for this program - I purchased the upgrade from RM7 in the belief that it would work!  It doesn't.  It's now up to the programmers to fix it.  I don't see why a paying customer should do the work for them!  I have to see I am very, very disappointed as I thought Roots Magic would be my TMG alternative.  Seems I was wrong.