8 replies to this topic

#1 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:14 AM

When I export a person with a surname prefix from my tree in Gramps, the GEDCOM text looks like this:

0 @I00252@ INDI
1 NAME Akke /van der Meulen/
2 GIVN Akke
2 SPFX van der
2 SURN Meulen

In RootsMagic 7 she appears as Akke Meulen, meaning that the surname prefix at SPFX is lost.

This is also visible in the GEDCOM text exported by RootsMagic 7:

0 @I252@ INDI
1 NAME Akke /Meulen/
2 GIVN Akke
2 SURN Meulen

Since I see no surname prefix on the Edit Person screen in RootsMagic 7, I assume that the surname prefix is not there as a seperate entry field. That part is ok with me, but to be fully compliant, the SPFX should not be lost, but attached in front of the surname in the RootsMagic database, so that the NAME line reads exactly the same in both GEDCOM files, and the SURN exported by RootsMagic reads "van der Meulen".

Edited by ennoborg, 09 December 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

Welcome to a 12 year old de-facto standard. Hopefully one day the industry will agree on a new standard. 

I would create a dummy person with the information you are looking for in roots magic and export that individual via GEDCOM then compare how RootsMagic specified the surname prefix. 

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6253 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

Since RootsMagic has no Surname Prefix field (a serious omission in my view because it is in GEDCOM standard, I think), it will not export any such tag.

The best you can do is to run a regular expression search and replace on the GEDCOM text file to concatenate the value of SPFX with the surname or the given name or the suffix. Then import to RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

Open a support ticket on this issue and include the Gramps GEDCOM. Tell us which person to look at. Then development can look into supporting this when its imported into RootsMagic.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Done. I was not sure whether I could still open a ticket, because my RM 7 is not registered. My RM 6 is, and the error exists in that versioon too.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

Since I see no surname prefix on the Edit Person screen in RootsMagic 7, I assume that the surname prefix is not there as a seperate entry field. That part is ok with me, but to be fully compliant, the SPFX should not be lost, but attached in front of the surname in the RootsMagic database, so that the NAME line reads exactly the same in both GEDCOM files, and the SURN exported by RootsMagic reads "van der Meulen".

It appears to be a break from the Gedcom 5.5 standard, I wonder how many other tags are not supported by Rootsmagic which new users from other platforms might find to be a problem resulting in lost information <_<

SPFX {SURN_PREFIX} A name piece used as a non-indexing pre-part of a surname.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Well, when I find another one, I will report it, because I'm not moving from Gramps. It is my main program for a couple of reasons, one being language. I use RootsMagic to connect to the Family Tree on FamilySearch, and that's where name issues like these show up.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6253 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

Does FamilySearch support Surname Prefixes?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Does FamilySearch support Surname Prefixes?

No they do not. it is not part of the Gedcom X standard. 

http://www.gedcomx.o...mePartType.html