23 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6266 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

That sounds like a good solution. Especially now with the convenience of QuickGroups to remove a member whose citation(s) have been fixed although I think the long-wished-for Group Refresh (against your stored rule) would be more reliable because there could be multiple sources for a person needing the 'Fix'.

Because your objective is conversion of Free Form sources, I would think it desirable to tackle it through the Master Source List rather than person-by-person, although the latter may be the way to go to prioritize those sources that are used for the people in whom you are primarily interested. If you color-code the latter, then they will stand out in your 'Fix' group.

That said, you have a big challenge ahead and I wonder if you should not review your goals and why you have chosen the route of converting your sources in this manner. Have you considered the disadvantages of storing your citations in templated form? Have you considered the pros and cons of lumping vs splitting? There has been much prior discussion in these Forums and a wide range of approaches. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

That said, you have a big challenge ahead and I wonder if you should not review your goals and why you have chosen the route of converting your sources in this manner. Have you considered the disadvantages of storing your citations in templated form? Have you considered the pros and cons of lumping vs splitting? There has been much prior discussion in these Forums and a wide range of approaches. 

I know the benefits of template form. I know that they can be easily split using a SQL query process for exporting to gedcom. What is some of the other benefits of splitting. I currently have over 700 hints I need to review in ancestry after inputting my inherited genealogy. These will export from ancestry.com as free-form. If I decide to go template route I can just imagine the LONG road ahead. 

#23 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6266 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

What is some of the other benefits of splitting.

From http://sqlitetoolsfo...treme Splitting some time ago:

-templated sources export to standard GEDCOM and thus to third-party software and websites with better integrity. See Ultimate Splitting of Sources for Better GEDCOM from RootsMagic http://sqlitetoolsfo...plit-GEDCOM.pdf

-sources transfer more completely to FamilySearch Family Tree (RM does not transfer Research Notes and Detail WebTags, only Source Text and first Master WebTag so this procedure moves Research Notes and Detail Web Tags to the Master Source fields)

-easy duplication

-one page to edit all citations of a source instead of one page per citation, if the change would otherwise be at the conventional Source Details level.

-one set of images per source which covers all citations of the source

-a complete source can be created in the Source Manager

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#24 quarter

quarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the good info.  I'll have to explore further before getting too much further with migrating.  Just to help me scope the effort, assuming that I currently have say 5000 people with 600-700 sources and 25+K citations, how many sources would you guess I would be mananging with extreme splitting?  FYI, I'm not really sure how many 'real' citations I actually have.  Genbox supports citations for many more elements, so I delete many when I migrate a person.  Ex., to record a new person with a birth event in Genbox, I could record individual (usually duplicate) citations for: the person, person name, birth event, birth date, birth place, birth detail, mother, father, and family, and probably a couple more that I'm forgetting) ... so maybe 8-10K citiations remaining when I'm done.