• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quarter

quarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

The source template "Pension Files, NARA Microfilm" is set up to us NARA as the default source, but allows for using non-NARA sources as well.  However, the short footnote will print the 'NARA' film ID regardless so, as it is currently published, it only works for NARA publications.

[ItemOfInterest:Abbrev], NARA [FilmID]<, [RollNo]>.

Recommend either updating the template to remove the NARA text from the short footnote, or making the template specific to NARA and adding a new non-NARA template with all NARA defaults removed.

Also, the Publication Date in the full footnote and bibliography templates is a required field, recommend making it an optional field.  Some of the sate sources don't provide a pub. date, and the comma shows if you don't enter a date.  (text is not allowed, so 'n.d.' is not accepted)

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

The source template "Pension Files, NARA Microfilm" is set up to us NARA as the default source, but allows for using non-NARA sources as well.  However, the short footnote will print the 'NARA' film ID regardless so, as it is currently published, it only works for NARA publications.

[ItemOfInterest:Abbrev], NARA [FilmID]<, [RollNo]>.

Recommend either updating the template to remove the NARA text from the short footnote, or making the template specific to NARA and adding a new non-NARA template with all NARA defaults removed.

Also, the Publication Date in the full footnote and bibliography templates is a required field, recommend making it an optional field.  Some of the sate sources don't provide a pub. date, and the comma shows if you don't enter a date.  (text is not allowed, so 'n.d.' is not accepted)

As always, the standard recommendation is not to use RM's built-in templates directly, but rather to make and use copies so you can make these kinds of corrections locally in your own copy of RM.

As far as corrections to the built-in templates, RM has announced a project to do so and there is a pinned thread to gather input on which corrections need to be made.

Jerry

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

I create my own copy using the Copy feature in Source templates, and in Copy of ________  

I add what I think/need is missing in the FootNote or other areas,  Help File is great for suggestions on how to do this.

My copied  templates all have my initials in front of the name so they show at the top of the list, of course my initials start with a , or use * .  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

I just moved that forum thread to the top of the RM7 Issues, items needing to be fixed can be added there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 quarter

quarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

OK, thanks.