Photo

Is there a way to see all sources associated with a person?

sources

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 castiron

castiron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Is there a way to see all the sources for facts attached to a person at once, without clicking on each fact individually? I've found that I had some sources get corrupted back in TMG before I imported into RM, and I'm looking for an easy way to skim the sources attached to each person to look for problems (e.g. particular church record index listed as source when the person & ancestors didn't live anywhere near that area).

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

The only way I can think of would be to generate a report with footnotes or endnotes, such as Indiviual Summary or a 1-generation narrative. Save it to RTF, PDF, or HTML file, open in associated program to review so you can return to the Edit Person screen or Timeline View to work on the database.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Go to Reports/Lists/Research Reports/Research Notes and check the Person you want and the Comments box.  Your source will be in the footnotes to each item that has Research Notes and Comments.  

Edited forgot one part of it...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 castiron

castiron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

Thanks!  These reports sound like they'll ultimately be the right solution. Unfortunately, the reports menu only seems to work when you have a printer installed, which my laptop doesn't, so I'll have to fix that first.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

That seems improbable. After all, the report can be saved to a file so I don't see why the program would refuse to give you access to the reports menu. Check your version of RootsMagic (Help > About). If it is Essentials, that is the restriction and you will need to unlock it for the full privileges.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 castiron

castiron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Nope, it's the full version, but it's running on a Mac laptop via Macbridge, so that might be the issue.

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

I think I can remember that designating a printer was a requirement at one time (previous version of RM), but am not sure if it's still the case.

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

1. Try installing a virtual printer like CutePDF or BullZip or AdobePDF. That will allow you to print to a PDF file even whena printer is not physically attached. I do this all the time on my PC laptop - don't know how it would work on a MacBridge setup.

2. I may be one of only a few people to do this - but I enter ALL source citations at BOTH the person level (as a General Source) and as the appropriate fact/event Source.  That way, I get a list of ALL sources for a person under the General Source list. I started doing this twenty-some years ago, before I migrated to Family Origins and RootsMagic. Saves me from having to run a report to see the full list.

3.  Unfortunately, a couple versions ago, the order of the Sources presented in the General Source view switched from alphabetical to chronological. This is no big deal with just a few sources, but I have many individuals with over 20 source citations, and some with over 50. It would be really nice (and I think it's in the list of requested improvements) if the list of sources could be sorted between chronological and alphabetical and maybe on any other column in the view....