• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 danho32

danho32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

I am new to RM and have a question concerning what I would call an Individual Narrative Report.  I am familiar with the Individual Summary but I find it does not print out Fact complete Fact sentences within the report.  So my question is does such a report exist in RM6.  If not has anyone made a customized report like this.  Or perhaps it is available in RM7?  Thanks in advance for your responses.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

Create a Narrative report for one generation.

#3 danho32

danho32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thank you Laura - works great with one exception - Death fact does not print at end of report.  Is there any way to force this?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Some really obvious questions: are you sure you have a death fact for the person? And if so, are you sure that you have not disabled the death fact type for printing in narrative reports? Are you sure the death fact has not overflowed onto a second page of the report and that you haven't looked at the second page?

I produce one generation descendant reports nearly every day - often several of them per day. I don't print them. I just look at them on the screen to confirm the formatting of the report is correct for that particular person. And I've never had a death fact not appear.

Jerry

#5 danho32

danho32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hi Jerry - thanks for the response.  Here is what I am doing.  Reports>Narrative>new windown.  Select Descendant, NGSQ (modified regular) 1 Generation.

Here the Facts concerning the individual (with their date field)  in the order they print in the report: Birth (1879);Social Security App (a Fact I created)(1956); Died (1966);Marriage (1913);Census (1920).  This is followed by entries concerning wife followed by a list of children.  Yes I did check all pages  I don't know how to disable a fact for printing in narrative reports.

Clearly I'm missing something.

Thanks

Dan

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

I think I see. When you said that the death fact did not print "at the end of the report", I thought you meant it didn't print at all. I see that it did print, but not in the order you wish.

There are two problems here. One is that the marriage fact prints after the death fact. That's because that's the way it works in an NGSQ report. All family facts print after all individual facts. Marriage is a family fact and death is an individual fact. In truth, it's not just the NGSQ report that works this way. All of RM's descendant narrative reports work this way.

The other problem is that you must be using the family census fact rather than the individual census fact. Again, all family facts print after all individual facts. So if you want your census fact to print before the death fact, you need to use the individual census fact. Of course, it may be that the way you are recording census information, you really want to use the family census fact.

In part because of this issue, I try very hard not to use family facts or family notes or family anything unless I absolutely have to. For the most part, this means that the only family facts I will ever use are marriage and divorce. Well, there might be the occasional marriage bann fact or something like that, but it's very unusual.

The ability to produce a true time line descendant report in RM is much wished for on these forums, but such a report has not been forthcoming. I do have to point out that RM's NGSQ report is producing the facts in the correct order according to my understanding of the NGSQ standard. (I wonder if the standard really dictates that family facts follow individual facts.)

Jerry

#7 danho32

danho32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for a very clear and concise explanation concern the problem I posted.  I now need to determine what I can live with.

However, I took a quick look at creating a customized report - found it completely baffling.  Do know anything about creating customized reports?

Dan

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

Probably the best way to learn how to make custom reports is to view the Rootsmagic webinar on custom reports. But be aware that custom reports really don't let you create a narrative report in your own format. Rather, custom reports look very much like an Excel spreadsheet or some such as that - with rows and columns of data.

Jerry

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5856 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:56 AM

Typo: custom reports are tabular, not narrative.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3059 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

Typo: custom reports are tabular, not narrative.

Good catch. I fixed it in the original posting above.

Jerry

#11 danho32

danho32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Thanks guys - think I'll stay away from Custom Reports