Photo

What is this "re-write" I keep reading about?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 olive

olive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

I haven't been on the forums for awhile.  I currently have the newest version of RM6.  When I saw the newsletter about RM7 & the webinar about it I thought I'd see what others thought about it before I purchased it.  As I did so, I started seeing talk in the RM7 forum in the recent discussions about a re-write that's being worked on & I'm confused.  Can someone direct me to a thread that discusses it in more detail than I've seen so far, or can someone give me the run down here?  I feel like I'm out of the loop & I want to get back up to speed.

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

You know as much as any of us know. RootsMagic is being re-written. We don't know what parts or how much. That is why some of the commonly asked for features are not in RootsMagic 7. We may get some of the re-write as it is completed in free updates. We may only get them on some un-known newer version down the line in the future. 

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6178 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

The developers are working on a new development platform that supports multiple operating system so that they can bring out a native Mac-OS version in addition to Windows plus iOS and Android versions, all from common code. RM7 and back to RM4 were developed on an older platform with no (or poor) support for Mac and mobile OS'. There is significant rewriting involved just to have the current design work on the new platform; if touch-screen support and other redesign are also goals, then even more re-writing.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

Whilst a full re-write of Rootsmagic will, no doubt , be welcome particularly by those seeking a proper Mac-based version (and perhaps operational rather than simply read-only IOS and Android apps), I for one fervently hope that the developers will also take the opportunity to address a substantial number of the very many shortcomings and wish-list items that have apparently lain in some form of continual stasis within the Tracking System.

Although to do otherwise would doubtless attract additional new users, particularly those with Macs, it would add further to the frustration and disenchantment of current users that is so plainly evident elsewhere on this forum who are unlikely to be seduced into purchasing a brand new version of the same thing.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

I for one fervently hope that the developers will also take the opportunity to address a substantial number of the very many shortcomings and wish-list items that have apparently lain in some form of continual stasis within the Tracking System.

I will second that although I don't think you were alone in that hope.

I don't know what will happen in the future of Rootsmagic although I can say I have become increasingly cynical regarding whether we ever see previous features cleaned up let alone enhancements.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root