37 replies to this topic

#21 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

My Nexus 5 phone has not updated. It is still 5.01. And, it is telling me it is up to date.

From what I am reading online, 5.02 was only released for Nexus 7 Wifi 2012. And, the reviews for that aren't very encouraging.

Google Lollipop 5.02 and do some reading.

The situation js a Google problem and there is nothing RM can do about it until Google fixes it and releases an update for all phones and tablets..

Put the blame on Google where it belongs.

I am grateful my Samsung phone and other brand tablets didn't update to Lollipop.

I

#22 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

Laura,

My Nexus 7 is the 2013 HD model.  The Lollipop 5.02 update arrived for it several days ago.  As I noted earlier, the RM app still fails.

Having long been in the software development business, I'm a little skeptical that there isn't something the RM developers can do to get to get the app running.

Also, I find your suggestion to "Google Lollipop 5.02 and do some reading" to be just a little condescending (as well as misdirected). 

I like the app when it works, and it bothers me to see the low rating it is receiving in the Google Play store.  The low ratings seem to directly relate to the failure of the app to run on a variety of system configurations.

- DavidP

#23 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:34 AM

My Nexus 5 is still 5.0.1, and I haven't been asked to update it. My Nexus 10 tablet is 5.0.2. Neither will load my RM database, so I am sadly giving up on the app until such time as the ?Lollipop or Google refiguration. Mind you, I had awful problems getting the app to work on my Nexus 10 withy KitKat. So I wonder if the problem is really Lollipop's fault?

#24 leeds3

leeds3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

Android 5.1 did not help.  Same issues as for earlier versions of Lollipop.  (Nexus 7 2012 wi-fi only, OTA update, unrooted).

#25 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Renee posted that an update is being worked on.

http://forums.rootsm...problems-again/

#26 Grove

Grove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

My experience is that the app runs, but only once. I then have to uninstall and start all over again! Also running on Android 5.0.2.

I think the reality is this app has not been updated since May 2014 and we have had a major release of Android since then.

Close to giving up with RM if it is not going to be supported.

#27 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

I even had problems with my previous phone (htc) as well as my Nexus 10 getting RM app to work when it first came out. Clearly there is some incompatability between the app and some makes of devices.

#28 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

The app is supported. Its just that development cannot resolve the issue with the new lollipop operating system that Nexus users have. We can't release an update until we can resolve it on our end or Android puts out an update that fixes the issues with that operating system. We're working on it but don't have a resolution yet.

Renee
RootsMagic

#29 rjmolloy@comcast.net

rjmolloy@comcast.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

I just want to comment that this is not just a Nexus problem. I have the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone running Android 5.0 and on my Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 running CM12/Android 5.0.2.

#30 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

Are you sure your Samsung Galaxy S5 phone isn't running 5.0.2? Its the new operating system that updated the SQLite library that is causing theses issues. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#31 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

My Nexus 5 phone has just updated to 5.1. Reinstalled RM app. Still crashes as before. 1st gen Nexus 7 tablet also now 5.1. Same issue. Sad face.

#32 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

Sound more like an issue with the database itself then. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. If you get error messages run them through again. Then upload that database to the app to see if it works.

Renee
RootsMagic

#33 rjmolloy@comcast.net

rjmolloy@comcast.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

I'm sure that the Galaxy S5 is running Android 5.0. The Tab Pro is running 5.0.2.

#34 Kenzie

Kenzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running on the latest version of Lollipop for the Note 4 (Android 5.0). I'm using Roots 7 database.
I hope my observations will help with the fixes.

I ran the File>Database Tools - all options in consecutive order on my database inside RootsMagic before uploading to dropbox.

I can see the database in descendents view, pedigree view & family view. I can view place list (only list I tried).

But
- when I click 'view full details' from an individual view, the app closes down, and I get the message, "Roots Magic has stopped". I clicked OK to dismiss the message, but trying to open the app again yields the same message, "Roots Magic has stopped". Is there a way to open the app after that happens other than uninstalling and reinstalling the app?
- when I turn off the phone before exiting the app and turn it on again, opening the app gives me the message, "Roots Magic has stopped".
- One time, the message just stayed on the screen and locked the whole phone - I had to remove the battery and replace it to get the phone to work again.
- In the descendents view, the children are not listed in birth order. The grand children are not listed in birth order, and there is no way to tell which wife/husband had which children if there are multiple marriages. Also, if there are multiple marriages, the marriages are sometimes shown in the wrong order (they're correct in the full program on my PC).

I love the idea of this app, and I know you're working on a multitude of projects simultaneously, so I'm not complaining. I just wanted to let you know my experience and learn if there's something I could do differently to improve it.

Thanks.

#35 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

Kenzie, I don't believe your issue is related to those running Nexus devices with 5.02. It is actually an issue with your database. Check to make sure you do have a Root Person selected for your database. Go to Tools>File Options>General>Root Person. Then below that select the Root Person as the "Start person when opening this database".

If you continue to have problems after running the Database Tools then you will need to open a support ticket and send a backup of your database for testing.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#36 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

Any news on this topic lately? After I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy to Android 5.0 the RM app crashes whenever I try to open a database. It worked just fine before that.

On the desktop I'm running RM7. I did all the database cleanup steps and put the latest rmgc file onto DropBox. Uninstall the app, power cycled the phone, installed the app, made the Dropbox connection, downloaded the rmgc from DropBox and opened that file on the device .... sorry but the application has stopped working, click OK, open the app again and get that error immediately.

After I downloaded the rmgc file from DropBox it used to open / load the data immediately. It still does that on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy running Android 4.0.4) but not on the phone. Wonder if that points to where the problem is?

Probably is that SQLite library problem. Does anyone know what update of Android 5 fixes that? I want to bug Samsung to release that for my phone.

#37 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

Had a chat with Samsung "Live Chat", but it didn't help:

Sergio: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

Glen: Hi, I have a Galaxy S5. Recently did the upgrade to Android 5.0. Turns out there is a bug in the SQLite package in that Android which is crashing one of my Apps. Android 5.02 fixes it. When / how can I get my phone upgraded to 5.02?

Sergio: I am sorry to hear that you are having issue after the update and want to know then 5.0.2 update will be available for the phone.

Glen: Correct

Sergio: We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might  lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Sergio: Once the update is available you will receive a notification on your device.

Glen: Can you confirm that Samsung is aware that 5.0.2 exists and that you are validating it for release? You do not have to tell me when it will be released, that's OK.

Sergio: I am sorry; we at live chat do not have information about the future updates.

Glen: Please provide me with an email address of someone in Samsung I can contact to pursue this line of questioning

Sergio: If you visit samsung.com/ca/support and search our "News" section, you can find information about upcoming updates.

Glen: Thank you

#38 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

The Android app will not work on any Android device running Lollipop, any version, until an update is released.

Renee has posted that development is working on the update and a release date is not known.