• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have just updated my Nexus 5 (not rooted) with an over the air update to lollipop (5.0). The rm app won't work, crashing upon launch.
Anyone out there running the app successfully on lollipop?

#2 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:17 AM

Yes, but I had the app on my phone and also tablet before they upgraded to Lollipop. In fact it works better than with KitKat.

#3 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

It worked great on prev version. I will uninstall and reinstall, and cross my fingers.

#4 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

It worked great on prev version. I will uninstall and reinstall, and cross my fingers.

#5 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Huh. Uninstalled, reinstalled. Worked long enough to sign into DB, then crash. Time for tech support!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

Let rule out its not the database itself with the issue. Inside the RootsMagic desktop version run the File>Database Tools all items in consecutive order on your database. Then upload that to Dropbox. See if it will open for you now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Renee, I am using a Nexus 5 phone which was upgraded to Lollipop.

When I installed RM 7, I copied the RM 6 database and the copied database is the database I am using in RM 7.

I ran the Database tools on my RM 7 database.  I had also ran the Database tools on the RM 6 database before I uploaded it to Dropbox and downloaded it to the phone before it was upgraded to Lollopop.

I can reinstall the RM app and allow it to access Dropbox and pick the database to download.

The message comes up that the database is being downloaded.  Then the popup screen disappears and the Dropbox pick list screen returns.

When I choose View and Individual, The app stops giving me the stopped popup screen.  After that the app won't open again.

Reinstall RM and repeat to choosing Files.

I can choose any view except Individual and it is working as it should.  I can move back and for between any of the views except Individual.  If I choose Individual view the app stops.

If I select another individual from one of the other views and choose View full details the app stops.

List seems to be OK.  I only tried Research.

If I download more than one database at a time and go to File, On device and choice a database the app stops.

Once the app stops, closing it and opening it again does not fix the problems. It will not open.  The stopped popup screen opens.

#8 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:22 AM

I realise that in relation to my previous post that I hadn't downloaded the RM 7 file to my Nexus 5, so have just done so. When I download from Dropbox on to phone I get a blank screen with the title of the file at the top. However, if I do View - Pedigree the tree appears.But it won't display in landscape view, so only 3 generations viewable and no sidebar which is annoying. I didn't have this problem with the RM6 file. And - interestingly -  I can view my tree in landscape on my Google 10 tablet (also upgraded to Lollipop like my phone).

#9 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

I've run the tools in a database, sent it to DB. Still running 6. But as has happened before, app won't even launch so I can try the fresh database. Will uninstall, reinstall again which seems to be the only way to successfully invoke app on my phone and see if the fresh data makes it magically stable.

#10 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Uninstalled, reinstalled RM app on phone. Chose 'open' from play store interface. Got the 'setup drop box screen'. Signed into DB, fetched the fresh file, went back to open that file after dwnld done, app crashed instead of opening file. Pfffffft.

#11 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

I've run the tools in a database, sent it to DB. Still running 6. But as has happened before, app won't even launch so I can try the fresh database. Will uninstall, reinstall again which seems to be the only way to successfully invoke app on my phone and see if the fresh data makes it magically stable.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

Have any of you installed the new Nexus 5 update for Lollipop that came out yesterday? There were several bugs in the first release fixed.

http://www.androidor...-android-5-0-1/

Has that resolved the issues you were having with the RM App?

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Can't wait for the update. Not avail yet on ATT. Will post again when update installed.

#14 eay123

eay123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

I installed rootsMagic on my husbands tablet (second generation Nexus 7 running 5.0.1) in hopes that the incremental update to the OS would allow rootsMagic to run. My own tablet and phone still have not received the latest update.
RootsMagic installed, I launched it and it took me to drop box where I signed in and retrieved a family file. so far, so good.
However, the same thing happened on 5.0.1 that happens on my Nexus 5 phone running 5.0. It crashed upon trying to open the file that I had just retrieved. And as with 5.0 on my phone,starting the app from the icon causes it to immediately crash.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

It looks like Google is having issues with Nexus 5 Lollipop. The latest update did not resolve everything. We need this to be stable before we can even begin to see if if has to be fixed on our end. 

http://www.gottabemo...ease-date-info/

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 leeds3

leeds3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Android 5.0.2 did not help.  I just updated my 2012 Nexus 7 from 5.0 to 5.0.2.  (Standard OTA rollout from Google, unrooted device.)  I uninstalled RootsMagic, rebooted, and reinstalled RootsMagic.  RootsMagic fails exactly as with 5.0.  I can download my rmgc file from Dropbox, but when I then select the file using "On Device," the program exits with the message "Unfortunately RootsMagic has stopped."  After this it will not successfully restart.

#17 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

I have just posted about this problem separately. Sorry! My problems are very similar on my Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 10 tablet. The appp[ crashes, or won't download. I have the latest updates, and also did the RM database tools as Renee suggested.. Obviously I reinstalled the RM app (more than once). Did any of you folks get RM to woirk on your Nexus devices?

#18 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Nexus 7 2013 on Android Lollipop 5.0.2

RootsMagic 7 on desktop

I think I have tried everything in this thread (app uninstalls, reinstalls, RM7 database tools, redoing the DropBox transfer), but invariably the RootsMagic  app crashes.  I would really like to be able to use the app, but clearly it is too unstable in its current state.

By the way, I did successfully use the app before Lollipop.

- David P

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

Please read Renee's last post on this thread.

Google is going to have to resolve it's problems with Lollipop before RM can make the apl compatible with Lollipop.

#20 dlp0918

dlp0918

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

Laura,

I appreciate your comment, but Renee's post was over a month and a half ago.  At that time Lollipop 5.0 and 5.01 were getting a lot of press about having problems.  As of 5.02, however, I have heard much less about technical glitches.  So maybe Lollipop's stability is now much improved.  Also there has been nothing on my radar about an imminent new update to Lollipop.  If we have to wait on that it could be a very long wait indeed.

- DavidP