• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larrewl

larrewl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

I have my master data on Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker 2014.  Which should I import from for RootsMagic 6?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5996 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

Presumably you have your Ancestry tree and your FTM database sync'd. If you have images for sources downloaded for FTM, then the links will pass through the FTM GEDCOM to RootsMagic. The Ancestry GEDCOM would require you to find and download each one and then you would have to find and attach each file in RootsMagic. So there is potentially much labour saved by importing the FTM GEDCOM. But try both; you may be surprised that there will be other differences and may be some will favour the Ancestry GEDCOM. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:52 PM

When I tried the APID tags did not carry over from my Family Tree Maker GEDCOM import. Family Tree Maker had such a horrible merge feature that syncing with rootsmagic was a pointless endeavor due to this I asked for a refund of my Family Tree Maker. I may try again next year. Maybe RootsMagic would have improved their compare database feature by then too.  

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5996 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

This page I last worked on in July may be helpful but is outdated by some changes with Ancestry and by further discussions in these Forums which I must get back onto... http://sqlitetoolsfo...cestry.com Sync

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.