• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pstainthorp

pstainthorp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

Dates entered in RootsMagic 7 in GRO index quarterly format (e.g. "Dec Q 1867") display correctly in reports as e.g. "December Quarter 1867".

However when I publish online using Internet > MyRootsMagic..., all quarterly dates display in my published website as "unrecognized date format."

Example:

http://sites.rootsma...idual.php?p=201

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Would it work for you to format the dates as "bet Oct 1867 and Dec 1867" ?

#3 pstainthorp

pstainthorp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

That works, in that it displays correctly in a MyRootsMagic website. Perhaps explicitly stating the date range is more 'correct' and GEDCOM-standard.

("abt Nov 1867" works as well, and is considerably shorter!)

However I have a lot of quarterly dates in my database, and I do not want to have to replace them all. Quarterly dates also have a particular meaning/implication for GRO birth registrations in England, which I would like to preserve.

I'm assuming this problem also means that any date which does not pass RootsMagic validation will not display in the website. So if I enter a custom/non-standard date, it will be replaced in the website display with "unrecognized date format." I think the published site should display what is in the date field without prejudice to validation.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:01 AM

Perhaps explicitly stating the date range is more 'correct' and GEDCOM-standard.

I don't know about GEDCOM-standard, but I think I would argue that stating the date in GRO format is actually more correct than any kind of explicit date range - even if mathematically they are equivalent. Which is to say, the source stated the date in GRO format. If you change the date from the GRO format to an explicit date range, then you are hiding from your reader in any report that the date was a GRO format date.The fact that it's a GRO format date is useful (even necessary) "real world" information that's different than mathematical equivalence.

Jerry

#5 pstainthorp

pstainthorp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

The fact that it's a GRO format date is useful (even necessary) "real world" information that's different than mathematical equivalence.

I agree.

Quarterly dates also have a particular meaning/implication for GRO birth registrations in England, which I would like to preserve.

So when I record a birth as Dec Q 1867, it both reminds me that [a] the original source stated a quarter, and [b] the source is only the GRO birth index, and not something more concrete such as a birth certificate - which implies a birth date between 19 Aug 1867 and 31 Dec 1867 (i.e. the "mathematically equivalent" date range + 42 days), subject to a great deal of uncertainty.

But more than that, I'd just like the website to faithfully reflect and display what's recorded in my database.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6084 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

And those Q dates are valid in RootsMagic unless highlighted in yellow so the online website should honour them. And unrecognized dates are handled by RootsMagic as plain text; so should the website.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

Confirming issue noted in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sites, web, online, myrootsmagic, dates