• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dawnbeeks

dawnbeeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'm A TMG user but now have to look for new home, since TMG will no longer be tech supported, just forum.

I've narrowed down to these 2 software programs and both have great features. I think it's coming down to the coloring features.  TMG has a slew of colors to choose from, for however you wanted to setup your lines, such as, non-related lines with same name, unknown lineages, adopted lines, lines from Europe, etc etc.  In RM 7 it seems you have a restriction of 14 colors and really it's the text that is colored.  I had to keep going in and out of the coloring feature to test each color, I think someone should have had the words color coded.  Anyways, I can't tell the difference btwn silver and gray....the yellow, lime and teal are so difficult to see, it's hurts the eyes, so my question is, can the background be made the color and the text can stay black? 

Or since I read that RM7 really worked with TMG to the transfer, can the color system be worked in, to be brought over.  Or has any TMG switched and found this to be so? I would hate to do this and find my coloring system gone.  TKS!!!!

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

RM has 15 colors if you include Black.

If the colors are difficult to see, try adjusting the brightness of your moniter down. That also helps in telling the difference between Gray and Silver. I use Silver for people I haven't yet ced into my main limeages and Gray for my second cousin's families that aren't related to me that I have in my datsbase.

The color of the background cannot be changed by the user. Colored background and colored text is tricky as not all colors of text show up well on a background color even if you are using a light color on a dark background or a dark color on a light background.

I don't know if color coding is transferring from TMG.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

I certainly wouldn't object to more colors. But very honestly, I seldom use more than 5 or 6 at a time. What would be more important to me would be to solve a problem where the color coding disappears temporarily for the highlighted individual. The highlighted person needs to retain the color, both in the sidebar and in the main view, and irrespective of whether the primary highlight is in the sidebar or the main view.

The term "primary highlight" is my own and does not to my knowledge appear in any RM documentation. But the way RM works, if a person is highlighted in the main view, then the same person is highlighted less distinctly (in gray) in the sidebar (and vice versa if the primary highlight is in the sidebar).

I have to admit that it would be tricky to solve this problem completely and would probably require some creative and out of the box thinking on the part of the RM designers. Highlighting the background instead of the text might be a part of the solution, but there would have to be more to the solution than that to take care of the "primary highlight" and the "secondary highlight". Anything that would help would be good. I hate losing the color of the highlighted person, and for me the secondary highlight provides so little contrast between the gray background for the secondary highlight and the white background for no highlight that I often can't see the secondary highlight.

Jerry

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3436 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

so my question is, can the background be made the color and the text can stay black? 

Or since I read that RM7 really worked with TMG to the transfer, can the color system be worked in, to be brought over.!

No to both and I agree that Legacys handling of color coding the background with variations of light and dark is very easy to read and I would find it preferable.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

Another thing to consider how much ink you will use use when you print out your reports.  If only the text prints out, it uses a lot less ink than if the color prints out on the page itself.

#6 TCC

TCC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

If you are a longtime TMG user you are not going to like any other program.  We are very discouraged as none, including RM, does reasonable job of tranferring TMG data.  Transfer mostly error free but resultant sentance structure and source structure isn't up to our standards - not RM fault, not TMG fault (except that TMG doesn't fit well with structure of other programs).  Narrative reports are horrible.  We have finally settled on RM but with much sadness.  You will quickly find there are no programs that produce narrative reports of the quality of TMG.  RM comes closest but there is no effective way to control paragraphing (which has been a longtime complaint that RM has apparently ignored).  We made the hard decision of not transferring our over 5000 people and sources and are simply starting over with less details and re-entry rather than transfer.  We are keeping our TMG datasets linked through John Cardinal's program to hosted websites for now but won't be updating the dataset unless we find something truly unusual.

I wish Bob well but sure wish someone would pickup TMG and continue maintenance and support - but seems that is unlikely.  We understand it may continue to work without support but.....in the years we have had to return datasets twice to have them repaired.....and who knows what impact the next Windows update (even weekly updates) will have.

TC

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

On the Narrative report setup screen, Choose Options.

There are three choices for paragraphing:

Keep fact sentences in same paragraph

New paragraph after every fact

New paragraph after every fact with notes

#8 TCC

TCC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yep, there are three cholces. However, there is no effective way to really control paragraphing other than those three, which don't facilitate anything close to TMG.  In TMG I was able to insert carriage returns anywhere I wanted which meant I could embed two CR's before Death Tag and always start a new paragraph on everyone at that point.  Can't do that here since returns are not available in the fields except for the note fields (which isn't a really great method). 

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

TCC, you can enter CR in the default (Principal) sentence template, the role sentence template or the local sentence template. Just hit the Entrr key.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.