Sell me Your Family Origins 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fred Berardi_*

Guest_Fred Berardi_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:33 PM

I have resisted the urge to upgrade to ROOTSMAGIC but I missed buying the final release. I have 9.02 Family Origins and I want to buy someone's Version 10 (let's keep it legal). I looked on Ebay, etc. but can't find a copy. Anyone want to sell me theirs???

Fred B biggrin.gif

#2 Guest_Fred Berardi_*

Guest_Fred Berardi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Bummer..it appears that noone want to sell their copy.

I see that Alfred is all over these forums..Alfred? Do you know how, or where, I can purchase a copy of Family Origins version 10??

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:50 PM

No, I don't know where you can find a copy of FOW 10. I have one, but I have to keep it to answer questions from people who don't know enough to up-grade to RootsMagic. biggrin.gif

Why not go with RootsMagic 2.03 and be done with it? there is hardly any learning curve. A GEDCOM transfer transfers everything that FOW 9.02 will export. There are some nice things which FOW 9 doesn't have.

Why don't you want to take the plunge?
Alfred

#4 Guest_Fred Berardi_*

Guest_Fred Berardi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

Learning curves don't deter me. Rootsmagic is relatively new and I have seen discussions on the bug fixes, enhancement/wish requests, etc. that make it apparent that the product is still on a learning curve of it's own.

Also, I am a techie from all the way back (first Windows install was from 30 diskettes) and over the years I have become disenchanted with software companies that create upgrades just to make you spend more money with them (a technique that Microsoft has honed to a fine edge with Windows). Nothing was ever wrong with Family Origins and no NEW product was needed. Just a little cynical in my old age I guess. laugh.gif

Also, the non-technical family members that look at the tree using my machine are very comfortable with the interface and even moving a few buttons makes them a little crazy.

If you hear of anyone wanting to sell, please feel free to give them fred.berardi@gmail.com

Thanks
Fred B smile.gif

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

Ok.

I don't think that Bruce had much choice. Genealogy.com had aquired the marketing rights to Family Origins and seemed to forget to sell it. They remembered how to sell FTM though.

As for the new versions, there was a new version of Family Origins every year too.

If I learn of anyone, I will point them in your direction.
Alfred

#6 Frogg

Frogg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:12 AM

I have Family Origins 10. I've sent email to discuss it with you.

#7 Guest_Utahred_*

Guest_Utahred_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:23 PM

I have Family Origins 10 all the way back to version 6, but after running Roots Magic for the last few years WHY would anyone want to run Family Origins again ?

It's kinda like giving up a Chevy 4x4 for a Yugo...

#8 Guest_Fred B_*

Guest_Fred B_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

Well...if you never do any off-roading why have the extra maintenance of the second differential and the more expensive tires. Besides..it took 5 years to get the right "asswear" pattern in my yugo drivers seat. rolleyes.gif

Do you have an old shirt or pants you like? There are great new replacements for them, but you like the fit and feel of the old one. Some people keep them until the patches outweigh the actual remaining fabric. Worn for comfort not for speed!!

I am not criticizing Rootsmagic per se, I am just wanting to keep the old dogs alive a little longer. Nothing wrong with tradition. It is, after all, our historical roots we are tracking here, isn't it??

Fred B

#9 Kenn Brooks

Kenn Brooks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:07 AM

Fred, if you are a real techie I have a family tree program from way back called Cumberland Tree that is DOS based and probably the best one I ever found. It was more reliable than the first ones that came out for Windows.
Also I went as far as FO 7.0+ and it was very good also but it couldn't handle the large amount of document copies and photos I started dumping into it when my relatives started feeding them all to me. That is why I went with RM though, as Bruce is the creator of both. He just got the bad side of G&A.coms. I have also heard recently that they have bought out a couple more program makers.
I have also, an old copy of FTM and I can't describe to you how bad that is and still stay online.
I also drive a 1986 Ford PU which I would put more money into than buy a new but it doesn't mean I wouldn't buy new accessories for it or update it with a new bench seat or a better radio for improved comfort.
As long as Bruce has RM, I'll stick with it.

#10 nwtinkerbell

nwtinkerbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

I already purchased and installed Roots Magic because I thought it was compatible with Family Origins....I missed the part about being compatible with a 'GEDCOM' file from Family Origins - TO Roots Magic.

I understand all that, but from a user's point of view it's irritating. I have a family member's Family Origins Database on CD - NOT a GEDCOM file, and need to access it. The only way that I know is by obtaining Family Origins.

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

Send me a copy of your Family Origins backup and I will convert it to a GEDCOM file for you.

Just attach it to an email to me with a short note and I will get it back to you as a GEDCOM file ASAP.

adeller@santel.net
Alfred