• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zeegal

zeegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

The other day I created a gedcom file from Roots Magic 7, so I could look at it on my friend's Family Treemaker while visiting. The import came up with lots of error messages, which I don't remember, but what i do know is that about 35 people that i have full names for, were listed as "noname or no name". In some cases, it knew they were male (lt blue background), but others, not. Since I've had no problem that I know of, importing gedcoms from others, I was disappointed.  I'm concerned because as I grow my database, I will want to be able to share my information with people who I've connected with. Any thoughts?

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

I am also concerned on this matter with not being able to share my information as my database grows. FHISO is trying to fix this by creating a standard. FamilySearch got a bit enthusiastic and declared a new GEDCOM standard. However some people did not like it so it never really caught on. 

Some things you must know when exporting GEDCOM. It is a 12+ year old standard that has not been updated. Genealogical software has changed over the years on how it does things. Due to this there are a lot of features that are not officially supported by Gedcom. Or if they are supported are not programmed to export in the correct fashion(RootsMagic Sources I am looking at you. Family Tree maker places I am looking at you). All genealogical software has this problem.  It is important to read though the error log so you can manually update the imported database and clean it up as needed. 

That being said I have never had a problem with something like a name not appearing. 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

I'm curious as to why you had to use a GEDCOM to use your friend's FTM. If you installed RootsMagic To-Go on your flash drive you could open it on her computer to work on your file and never have to install anything on the computer. Then when you get home you just transfer the file back to the desktop version. 

When you created the RootsMagic GEDCOM did you uncheck "Extra Details (RM specific)" so it would import easier?

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 zeegal

zeegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi Renee - I specifically wanted to look at my data in the FTM "Family View" format. I don't think I unchecked Extra Details. Is that why names didn't transfer over?

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:37 AM

Possibly FTM import got screwed up by some unrecognised content and skipped some names. So try again with Extra Details unchecked to see if that clears your problem.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.