• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

I would like list to request a wish list item for an "undo" function. This function would be just like the "undo" function in Microsoft Word where a user could "undo" something they just did. Often a user will realize they just did something they didn't mean to do and I've found on many occasions that happens to me and I can't "undo" it. It causes me significant frustration as I've often done hours worth of work since a backup. I do backup my research daily but if I get started on my database I don't back it up unless I'm ready to put it down, leave the computer, etc. This can mean hours worth of work. 

In the case I ran into yesterday, I had accidentally color coded an entire branch of people, including ancestors of that person. Unfortunately, ancestors within that branch had been color coded other colors indicating other meticulously detailed and researched information. There was no way to "undo" that color and therefore I lost all data relating to them since my last backup. It may not seem like much but I'd been working on those branches for several hours and added to them so I lost those hours filling in children, other ancestors, etc. and I didn't know what I was missing if that makes sense.

Regardless, the undo button would've made a huge difference. There wasn't a function to change the color code (at least that I saw) and I did try and search the forum for the answer to this. In addition, I posted the question to Facebook. 

Is there something I'm missing? If not, can this please be added to the wish list? I'm hoping this could be an easy fix. I just bought the Mac Bridge version so I'm not looking to buy RootsMagic 7 but perhaps can find some workaround if so.

Thank you,

Leigh

--
Leigh Stulack

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3455 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

An UNDO-type button or function has been wished for MANY times over the years and HAS NOT materialized yet. If you are looking for FRIENDLY advice, BACKUP before ANY operation that is going to enact changes to MORE THAN ONE individual in your database. PERIOD ≡÷þ

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3566 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

An UNDO-type button or function has been wished for MANY times over the years and HAS NOT materialized yet. If you are looking for FRIENDLY advice, BACKUP before ANY operation that is going to enact changes to MORE THAN ONE individual in your database. PERIOD ≡÷þ

Another bit of free advice (and worth every penny you are paying for it :) ) - don't use color coding for encoding any critical or long term information about individuals.  Color coding is incredibly valuable, incredibly useful, and incredibly wonderful. I use it extensively, and I would certainly encourage all RM users to use it extensively as well as a part of getting the most out of RM their experience.

But (and as you found out), color coding is also incredibly fragile. So color code things only for short term projects - for a day or two or maybe for a week or two. Or if you wish to use color coding for encoding longer term information, use it only for encoding long term information that is easy to restore. For example, it's common for RM users to code the ancestors of each of their own grandparents a different color (four colors in all). If this sort of color coding is destroyed, it's trivial to restore. Another example that seems to be common and that's trivial to restore is to color code everyone in your database who is not in your own tree as their own color. Therefore, when you see someone of this color coding, you will know immediately that they are not connected to your tree.

Jerry

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3455 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

You'll have a better chance of preserving color-coding with RootsMagic 7 new Compare Files feature just added. Then, whenever you backup and preserve your data and color-coding... you can restore a most recent backup file in one RM pane and then open any more recent file(s) and compare what may have been added or changed, then equalize your restored backup to all the latest bits and then back it up again, ETC.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

I have a user defined fact which I started in Family Origins, Color, with the description enabled.

I enter a person's permanent color in the description and mark the fact Private.

I can use this faxt as a search criteria to return people to their permanent color.

Now, I can create a Group for each color and use the Group to return people to their permanent color.

In RaM 7, I can now color code new people and use QuickGroup to add them to the correct color code Group and any other Groups they might need to be in.

#6 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Excellent advice. Yes, I should've backed up. I was trying to color code each person individually to avoid this very situation. I do have each of my grandparents (4) branches a different color. The extra colors I have in addition to that are three: black are the ones I've just added, red are the ones not in my branch, and purple are my royal ancestors. 

What happened in this case, ironically, was that my paternal grandfather's line ran into my maternal grandmother's line and my royal line. I mistakenly checked the "ancestors" box because previously that would've been the right choice and I got "trigger happy". Ugh.

Quick question-will RootsMagic 7 work with my Mac? If not, I will likely use Laura's idea. Visually, with thousands of ancestors, the colors have been incredibly helpful. 

Thanks again to all. I sincerely appreciate it! 

Leigh

--
Leigh Stulack

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8446 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

Confirming enhancement request for an Undo button is in our tracking system. The reason it hasn't been implemented is because a database is different than a Word Doc or Excel spreadsheet. Database write immediately and save changes so they don't have an undo feature.  Word and Excel you have to click Save to actually save the changes, otherwise when you exit the program you loose everything you just did. RootsMagic won't loose anything if your computer crashes or you shut down. That's because it was saved in the database immediately as you edited it. If development can figure out how to make the program have an undo feature then we can support it at some point. Right now the only option is to restore a backup. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:15 PM

Confirming enhancement request for an Undo button is in our tracking system. The reason it hasn't been implemented is because a database is different than a Word Doc or Excel spreadsheet. Database write immediately and save changes so they don't have an undo feature.  Word and Excel you have to click Save to actually save the changes, otherwise when you exit the program you loose everything you just did. RootsMagic won't loose anything if your computer crashes or you shut down. That's because it was saved in the database immediately as you edited it. If development can figure out how to make the program have an undo feature then we can support it at some point. Right now the only option is to restore a backup. 

Renee, thank you for the technical explanation of how the database works. I am glad that the database does save the information you input immediately. I'm currently trying to teach myself to color code people individually, regardless of how tedious. Thanks!

--
Leigh Stulack