• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BarbaraL

BarbaraL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I am a TMG user trying to figure out whether/how I might be able to migrate to RM. I’d like your advice on how to do something in RM that has been so simple in TMG.

Let's say you have two John Smiths in your database who lived in the same area(s) during the same time period. Say you find a new record (same area(s) and time period) for a John Smith and want to determine which John Smith it is, or whether there is indeed a third John Smith.

In TMG, I would use a view that shows all of the “facts” for an individual, including marriages and births of children, since the dates and locations of all of those types of “facts” would help to solve the problem.

I have played with RM’s Timeline, but have found that not all births of children appear on the Timeline. It seems that the birth of a child must have a date (not a sort date) in order for that birth to appear in the timeline of the parent. The birth of a child after her/his parent's death does not appear on the parent's timeline. Some fact of an individual must have a date which is before the birth of a child in order for that birth to appear in the timeline of the parent.

Given the potential holes in the RM Timelines of the John Smiths, how would a RM user make the evaluation necessary under the scenario described above? What views would you find most useful?

Many thanks!

Barbara

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

The reason why this is not in RootsMagic as a software itself is it is part of a separate program sold by RootsMagic Personal Historian. 

http://www.rootsmagi...onal-Historian/

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

Open two (or three) instances of the same database side-by-side, each like-named individual in their own particular Family tab view?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 BarbaraL

BarbaraL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

Thanks kbens0n, that would be one way to make up for the holes in the Timeline. Or, one could open one instance in the Timeline and one in Family View.

Kyle, it didn't even occur to me to look for this functionality in Personal Historian. I will take a look at it. Thanks!

Barbara