• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

I would like to update my webpage.  When I click on that option, I get a screen instructing me to sign in to see my websites (I only have one).  I enter my email and the password I've always used use for updating my webpage -- and it is not recognized.  I know it is the same password I always use.  When I try the "forgot my password" button, I'm told that a email has been sent to me, but I do not receive it.  Yes, I checked the spam filter.  Very frustrated.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

Since you've posted in the RootsMagic 7 forum. Did you create the webpage with RM7 ? If not, then my guess is that the webpages might be stored at different web addresses on RootsMagic's web space.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

I created the page using RM 6.  I updated this morning to RM 7, and was anxious to see if there was anything new with the publish online feature (especially in need of more capacity).  But I can't get in at all.  Do you have a suggestion?

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

I haven't upgraded yet, but this was Renee's explanation of the feature itself. Don't know if the address URL's are different or not, though:

http://forums.rootsm...online/?p=67718

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thank you -- I hadn't seen that thread.  I have to confess that I'm still confused though.  Most of those comments went way over my head.  I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get through to the tech help line.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

There are new My RootsMagic Accounts in RM7 then what was in RM6. You will need to create a new account because it won't recognize the old login. The RM7 accounts uses only one email address and password for all your websites. In RM6 you had to have separate logins. This simplifies things in the long run.

So instead of logging in, create a new account. No websites will appear. You will need to click on the Setting button to go to the online My RootsMagic Account page. There is a link there to see your other websites that were under RM6. It will then walk you through the transfer process. 

You cannot update your RM6 generated website inside of RM7. You have to create a new one. Delete the old website when you are ready and just reuse the name if you wish. We set it up so no one can use a previous RM6 website address. So you can claim the one you had before and use it in RM7. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 wynnefam

wynnefam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

Renee - I have successfully transferred my RM6 tree over to my RM7 account. Now that i have done this how do i update that tree using the RM7 publish option? Would i select this tree and uncheck the photo option (due to the media size issue)? Will it update whats already there?

Also i created a RM6 site using one name that i have shared with many family relatives. I set up RM7 with another name that i have now transferred the tree from RM6 to RM7. If i update the transferred tree from within RM7 do i now have to update the family with the new RM7 name? I assume so but thought i would ask.

Or alternatively can you behind the scenes replace my new RM7 name with my older RM6 name?

Peter

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

You will need to delete your RM6 created website after you transferred it to RM7 if you want to update it. Transferring just allows you control over that website name. Delete it and then right afterwards create it again using RM7 Publish Online. That way no one will claim that name.

Eventually we will have URL forwarding so anyone that still has the old RM6 URL will be forwarded to the new one created with the same website name in RM7.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 wynnefam

wynnefam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

I follow what you saying but before i delete my RM6 website (which a number of people have access to) i want to make sure i can re-create it, with the photos and media i have tagged to people and events, using RM7.

To date i have not been able to publish online using RM7 due to the size of my media file even though i have selected primary photos only. The message box reads "This site is too large to publish. If you have a large number of images you can try not including them (or include primary photos only), or you can choose to include a subset of your family rather than everyone in the file." My RM6 published site, with pictures and media, is only 18 meg.......

I believe i read in another post where you suggested unchecking the RM7 primary media option which would not be the same thing as my folks are seeing today from the RM6 website

Has this media file size issue been fixed? Or will it be fixed soon?

I think i would rather wait to delete my RM6 site until i know for sure i can re-create the same using RM7.

Does that make sense what I'm asking?

Peter

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

You might want to wait then. First, the URL forwarding isn't ready yet. When we have that finished the people using the old URL will be forwarded to new RM7 URLs with the same website name.

There is also an issue with selecting Primary Photo only. It includes the Primary Photo on each event too. So if you have to many images it will be an issue right now. I know this issue is also being worked on. Just don't have a time frame on when either will be resolved.

Renee
RootsMagic