• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

Is anyone else having a problem backing up on exit?  I have the RM7 program installed on my desktop and laptop (Win7) and I've tried to backup on exit, and without exiting, to my hard drive, to Dropbox or to Google Drive and I keep getting error messages (which I forward to RM).

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

What is the exact error message you are receiving?  Where is the folder located that you are trying to backup to?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 WilliamG

WilliamG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

I also am unable to back up v7.  When I press back up I do not receive the "pop up" back up in progress, and after a few seconds something flashes on the screen and the program shuts down.  When I go to the back up folder, there is no back up file.  I also upgraded from v6.  I run Windows 8.1 pro 64bit

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

We had users ask as an enhancement for the backup to complete and not have to click on the Ok button when it was completed. That is why you no longer see it. It's just the progress screen closing when you see that flash.

Your backup was still created. Look at where your default folder is set for when it saves the backup.  If you didn't set one then its in the location on your computer listed next to the browser button on the backup screen.  You can set your default folders at Tools>Program Options>Folders.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:51 AM

When the backup fails I get a pop-up error screen saying that an error message has been prepared to send to Roots Magic - I am given the option to send or not.  I usually elect to send.  I authorised RM7 to backup to my Dropbox but this seems to hang every time.  I have since authorised RM7 to back up to my Google Drive which is working.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

By any chance are you running RootsMagic 7 on a Mac?

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

No - RM7 on Windows 7 Pro build 7601

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

When the backup fails I get a pop-up error screen saying that an error message has been prepared to send to Roots Magic - I am given the option to send or not.  I usually elect to send.  I authorised RM7 to backup to my Dropbox but this seems to hang every time.  I have since authorised RM7 to back up to my Google Drive which is working.

Have you checked your login on the Dropbox website to make sure its working? Login and see if the Apps>RootsMagic folder has been created there. The program needs to do it and not yourself. This would be the same folder that's created in Dropbox when you use the RootsMagic App.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 RuthA

RuthA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

I have my Dropbox set up so that I do not need to log in each time.   My preference is to back up to Google Drive, which seems to work but is very slow compared to v.6.  There is an Apps/RootsMagic folder created on the Google Drive but with v.6 I was able simply to nominate a folder in my Google Drive to which to back up - much easier and no bugs.  What seems to have happened is that RM has created a " .Dropbox" folder under RootsMagic in the Apps folder.  Is this right?

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

The backup to Dropbox option is actually having you login directly to the cloud. You need internet access to do that. The file is uploaded through the internet to Dropbox online. Afterwards you will see your Dropbox folder on the computer receive the RMGB file from the cloud.  So you do need to login if you select to backup to Dropbox.

Now if you only want to backup to your Dropbox folder on your computer you won't need to login. I simply have my default folder in Tools>Program Options>Folder set to backup to that folder. I just make sure before I shut down my computer than my Dropbox folder on my computer shows it uploaded everything to the cloud for storage. Backup directly to your computer is always going to be faster then to the cloud because your not dealing with internet speed.

Renee
RootsMagic