2 replies to this topic

#1 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:38 AM

Does anyone have a good method for documenting parent-child relationships?   That is, adding source citations to specifically document who were the children of a set of parents.   I suppose that's what our whole database is about.   But, for example, I wish I could add citations to the sentence that RM automatically generates in a narrative report:  "Raymond Rogers and Anna Martin had the following children:"   To that sentence I would cite possibly a birth record, a parent's obituary, and a child's obituary if those contained supporting information.

Or, do you just add the parent's obit to their death fact (which I would do anyway), the child's birth record to their birth fact, etc., and leave it at that?

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:50 AM

Personally, I attach the source on the parents to the birth event for a person. Everyone in my database has a birth fact because I estimate dates. It just makes life easier for me to know what time period I am dealing with so I can do further research.  I do source myself as estimating that date too and how it was calculated.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

"Or, do you just add the parent's obit to their death fact (which I would do anyway), the child's birth record to their birth fact, etc., and leave it at that?

Thanks,

Jeff"

There has been much discussion on proving relationships of parent to child.  If you have the birth certificate, baptism record or.an about date,  then the birth or baptism fact for the child in my opinion is enough to establish relationships.    Census records also help.

Renee was answering this at the same time I was..  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0