• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 stweiss

stweiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:18 AM

The WebHints seem to be a quite usefull feature. I assume, that there will be more questions popping up.

My first question is:

How can I create a list of not living or living people, where the bulb is lighting?

Stefan

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

There is no report or search criteria for who has WebHints

You can create a Group using the Living tag as a search criteria:

Living:  Living tag is True

Dead:   Living tag is False

I have more than 6,000 living people and more than 10,000 dead people so I would narrow the search to people I am actually researching by adding other criteria.

Put the main screen on the Pedigree or Descendants view.

Highlight each person and check for a WebHint icon for that person.

I am doing source cleanup and don't want to stop to check out Webhints.  I created a Group, WebHints and am using QuickGroup to add people I want to check the hints for later to that Group.

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

My question about WebHints is if RM7 sends queries about everyone in your database by default. If so, are they sending name, data of birth and spouse's name for living people? What do you have to do to restrict WebHint queries to only people you want to include? Right now, I have some serious security concerns about RM7.

#4 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

My question about WebHints is if RM7 sends queries about everyone in your database by default. If so, are they sending name, data of birth and spouse's name for living people? What do you have to do to restrict WebHint queries to only people you want to include? Right now, I have some serious security concerns about RM7.

Your name, date of birth, spouse name and a bunch of other information including mothers maiden name is considered public record. This is why security professional encourage you not to use said information for security questions. Especially if you own a house. You can turn off hints entirely and then it would not search anyone in the database. 

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Your name, date of birth, spouse name and a bunch of other information including mothers maiden name is considered public record. This is why security professional encourage you not to use said information for security questions. Especially if you own a house. You can turn off hints entirely and then it would not search anyone in the database. 

You should also be able to have your SSN tattooed on your forehead but everyone treats it like the combination to Fort Knox. Just because something is technically "public record" does not mean that I necessarily want to be the one who provides all this information to "the web".

Right now, two of RM7's "nifty" new features seem to be unusable by me because of privacy and security concerns.

#6 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

You should also be able to have your SSN tattooed on your forehead but everyone treats it like the combination to Fort Knox. Just because something is technically "public record" does not mean that I necessarily want to be the one who provides all this information to "the web".

Right now, two of RM7's "nifty" new features seem to be unusable by me because of privacy and security concerns.

I see your sarcasm there. If you don't want to use the features you don't have too. I understand you not wanting to be the one responsible for providing information that lead to a data breach. My comment was more to put things into perspective. 

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

The WebHints are not much different than doing a search for a person on the internet. MyHeritage and FamilySearch are not gathering your search query to add that to their databases and then sharing that with others. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Renee how can we all get proof that they are not gathering and saving our details living or dead??

#9 Stan Mitchell

Stan Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

I have tried the WebHints feature with an existing database and the FamilySearch provider. I don't have any FamilySearch trees but I use the site a lot for research. So I was expecting the experience to be something like the GenSmarts integration.

When I click on the pending hints for a person in my database, I'm presented with a FamilySearch page showing the hints and the "Review and Attach" buttons for each one. If I click a button I get a page entitled "Attach Historical Records to Family Tree" for the person. I have three button options here: Attach, Not a Match, and Cancel.  Since I'm just interested in looking at the record, I don't want to Attach to someone else's tree, and I don't want to click "Not a Match" because it is a match and rejecting it might skew future searches. So being puzzled about the consequences of either choice - I choose Cancel.

It seems that the WebHints interface assumes the user is building a parallel tree on FamilySearch in which the Attach/Not-a-Match answers are stored. Without that parallel tree, there is no way to advance a Pending Hint to Confirmed or Rejected status. Is that the case or am I missing something?

#10 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

I have tried the WebHints feature with an existing database and the FamilySearch provider. I don't have any FamilySearch trees but I use the site a lot for research. So I was expecting the experience to be something like the GenSmarts integration.

When I click on the pending hints for a person in my database, I'm presented with a FamilySearch page showing the hints and the "Review and Attach" buttons for each one. If I click a button I get a page entitled "Attach Historical Records to Family Tree" for the person. I have three button options here: Attach, Not a Match, and Cancel.  Since I'm just interested in looking at the record, I don't want to Attach to someone else's tree, and I don't want to click "Not a Match" because it is a match and rejecting it might skew future searches. So being puzzled about the consequences of either choice - I choose Cancel.

It seems that the WebHints interface assumes the user is building a parallel tree on FamilySearch in which the Attach/Not-a-Match answers are stored. Without that parallel tree, there is no way to advance a Pending Hint to Confirmed or Rejected status. Is that the case or am I missing something?

The hints feature in RootsMagic for Familysearch is just the results of hints that have been accepted or rejected by the community at large at FamilySearch. There is no way to accept a pending hint or view a accepted hint by another user as pending. 

FamilySerach's tree is a lot more like wikitree or geni in the fact that it is a collaborative effort to generate one tree for the entire human race with the exception that you can't have your own personal tree. 

#11 Stan Mitchell

Stan Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

The hints feature in RootsMagic for Familysearch is just the results of hints that have been accepted or rejected by the community at large at FamilySearch. There is no way to accept a pending hint or view a accepted hint by another user as pending. 

FamilySerach's tree is a lot more like wikitree or geni in the fact that it is a collaborative effort to generate one tree for the entire human race with the exception that you can't have your own personal tree. 

Thanks for reminding me about the global nature of the FamilySearch tree. It seems it was long ago that I tried it. I've been more accustomed to the Ancestry.com tree model.

I'm still not clear on what is happening. Let me try walking through a concrete example.

I have Ida B. Sharp (b. 1861-?) in my RM database.

The RM7 WebHints, Pending Hits has an entry: Illinois Marriages, 1815-1935.

Clicking on that entry launches the FamilySearch Site to a page for Ida B. Sharp showing 4 possible matches,

including Illinois Marriages, 1815-1935

The FamilySearch page has a button for Review & Attach corresponding to Illinois Marriages, 1815-1935.

After clicking Review & Attach, FamilySearch shows the page Attach Historical Records to Family Tree that has two columns:

left column is for the Illinois Marriages, 1815-1935, with a link to view the record,

right column is for Family Tree, Family of Ida B. Sharp with buttons to Attach / Not a Match / Cancel

This hint is not useful because my RM database already has the marriage record from the county clerk's

office. I want RootsMagic to ignore this WebHint in the future so should I click Attach on the FamilySearch site?

Or are you saying there is no way to dismiss the "light bulb" in RootsMagic when working with the FamilySearch provider?

Sorry if I seem a little dense :)

#12 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

This hint is not useful because my RM database already has the marriage record from the county clerk's

office. I want RootsMagic to ignore this WebHint in the future so should I click Attach on the FamilySearch site?

Or are you saying there is no way to dismiss the "light bulb" in RootsMagic when working with the FamilySearch provider?

Sorry if I seem a little dense :)

You will want to attach the webhint to the individual on FamilySearch Family Tree as it is a match. This does a few things.

1) It turns off the lightbulb in rootsmagic as you accepted the hint.

2) It attaches the source to the individual and all individuals on record in FamilySearch Family Tree if you attach them to the individual(you should).

3) It makes FamilySearch Family Tree better as that individual is now better documented.

You will always want to check the webhints even if the lightbulb is off. Reason for this is there may be accepted hints by others in FamilySearch Family Tree that you have not seen yet. 

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

Renee how can we all get proof that they are not gathering and saving our details living or dead??

You can read the Privacy Policy for MyHeritage if you go to Tools>File Options>Webhints and click on the link at the bottom of the screen. "Learn about MyHeritage Matches & Privacy Policy"

FamilySearch did not provide a link for us yet so I can't tell you where to find it. If you call FamilySearch the consultants may have a knowledge base document on it. Its such new technology it just might not be written yet.

Call: 866-406-1830 or email support@familysearch.org 

The "proof" will have to come from the companies themselves. All I can say is we trust that they are doing what they say they are doing with your data. Personally, I don't see any benefit for them in gathering search queries that are being sent to them. You would have to have pretty big servers to store all the search queries everyone has ever made on their websites over the years.

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention about the living. MyHeritage has been giving me awesome Webhints from Public Records on all my living relatives. Birth dates, place of residence, other family members information. Way more than I ever had on them. It would be rather shocking to non-genealogist to see what information is out there in Public Records on individuals. Typically on the internet you have to pay to see those results. So cool that with a MyHeritage membership you have access to them. This information just confirms that the information is already out there on people if you know where to look. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 Stan Mitchell

Stan Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

You will want to attach the webhint to the individual on FamilySearch Family Tree as it is a match. This does a few things.

1) It turns off the lightbulb in rootsmagic as you accepted the hint.

2) It attaches the source to the individual and all individuals on record in FamilySearch Family Tree if you attach them to the individual(you should).

3) It makes FamilySearch Family Tree better as that individual is now better documented.

You will always want to check the webhints even if the lightbulb is off. Reason for this is there may be accepted hints by others in FamilySearch Family Tree that you have not seen yet. 

Thank you for the clarification.

Crowdsourced hints are not my cup of tea, so I will pass on FamilySearch,

but I will explore what MyHeritage has to offer. Renee's comment about their

Public Records hints has piqued my interest.

#16 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Thank you for the clarification.

Crowdsourced hints are not my cup of tea, so I will pass on FamilySearch,

but I will explore what MyHeritage has to offer. Renee's comment about their

Public Records hints has piqued my interest.

The hints themselves are not crowdsourced they are generated from matching information in FamilySearch Family Tree to the records themselves. Basically saving you the step of doing a search. The accepting and rejecting of hints is crowdsourced and for good reason. I have asked in a separate post about the ability to personally accept and reject a hint from FamilySearch as I feel that it is needed. 

#17 Stan Mitchell

Stan Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

The hints themselves are not crowdsourced they are generated from matching information in FamilySearch Family Tree to the records themselves. Basically saving you the step of doing a search. The accepting and rejecting of hints is crowdsourced and for good reason. I have asked in a separate post about the ability to personally accept and reject a hint from FamilySearch as I feel that it is needed. 

It would seem that using FamilySearch WebSearch would potentially find more matching historical records than using WebHints. Wouldn't another researcher first have to connect a record to a person in the global tree before it would show up as a hint?

#18 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

It would seem that using FamilySearch WebSearch would potentially find more matching historical records than using WebHints. Wouldn't another researcher first have to connect a record to a person in the global tree before it would show up as a hint?

Just like using ancestry.com search would return more results then using the webhints yes it would find more results but it would also find a lot of results that have nothing to do with your ancestor and the results screen on Familysearch is in need of some improvement. Also yes the individual must exist in Familysearch for any hints to display is my understanding.