10 replies to this topic

#1 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi:

When looking at the Timeline View for an individual on the computer screen, one can select options, for example, as I have done:

Age, Facts, Date, Details and Place

and I have selected the options to include:

Place Details

Shared Events

Parent Events

Sibling Events

Child Events

Spouse Events

[I would like to be able to add Ancestor Events as well]

For me, this selection provides a perfect screen report of the major genealogy events in that primary person's family over his/her lifespan.

My question: Where can I find the option to actually print a report of the exact details of the screen report, with the same options available?

Under Reports, the Timeline report options do not seem to provide any equivalent report.  Perhaps I am missing something?

I would rather not try to build a custom report, and would hardly know where to start to do that.

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:06 PM

The Timeline (Chronology) List should include all the information you have on the Timeline View. You can select the Individual Timeline List and then select others to include in the timeline with them. If you don't have a group then use the option "Select from a list".

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.  However, the Timeline Chronology does not include all elements.  The most notable absence is the column that shows age at the time the event happened.

Additionally, while the report on the screen just includes or excludes certain items depending on what option is chosen, the Chronology view just includes default elements depending on the individuals chosen for the group.  Also, am I the only person who finds it really painful to each time have to select the individuals I want to see in a group?  I must be missing something.

Anyway, I do appreciate the input.  It just seems that if the software can generate a report for the screen, I ought to be able to push a button that indicates that I want this report replicated for printing.......

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

That last statement is a reasonable expectation.

Are you creating a Named Group? Check the Help System if you do not know what that means. You will see the name of that group in the drop down list under Select People for many reports...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hi:

I am glad that my notion of a print button makes sense to someone other than just myself..... :)

As a new user, thanks so much for pointing me to the idea of the "Named Group" and indicating how to find out about this option.  After following the instructions and building a group, I was, indeed, able to generate a useful facsimile of the screen-based timeline chronology..albeit without the age column.  So, not an unreasonable -- albeit involved -- workaround which gets me most of the way to what I want.  I will still be looking for that print button.

Thanks again

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7853 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

Confirming enhancement request for a timeline view report is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

Great.

#8 Chuck1

Chuck1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Apologies for bringing up old topic. Was the timeline view report enhancement made available?  I can't seem to locate it. I like the OP would like to print the Timeline as I view it on screen.

I am back to RM7 after a hiatus, kind of having to re-learn some items.

I am using Version 7.5.6.0 Registered.

Thanks,

Chuck

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1543 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

I usually do not use the timeline report for what you are asking.  Individual summary Report will do what you are asking , if it is set up right when starting to create the report.  If family is wanted, a Family Group Sheet is the way to do.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#10 Chuck1

Chuck1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

While the individual report is nice, I prefer the layout of the Timeline. I use it especially for multiple marriages of one person and the subsequent events that took place regarding spouse(s), children, siblings.

I have not had any luck with custom reports, admittedly I need to look in the help files for its set up.

Renee had indicated that they  were "Confirming enhancement request for a timeline view report is in our tracking system."  I was wondering if it was invoked yet and I am too dense to find it.

Thanks for your reply, I am sure I can use the individual report at some point.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3024 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

Renee had indicated that they  were "Confirming enhancement request for a timeline view report is in our tracking system."  I was wondering if it was invoked yet and I am too dense to find it.

• A requested feature being in the tracking system is not the same thing as a commitment to include the requested feature in RM. It's not like there's a list of committed features that are requested on these forums and the developers work their way down the list or anything like that.
  • The tracking system is an internal RM document that is not shared publicly. Users do not get to see the document nor to vote on features that are in the tracking system or anything like that. I suppose you could create your own partial version of the tracking system by going through the requests that appear on this forum. But requests could surely be placed into the internal tracking system that come from sources other than this forum.
  • The percentage of requested features that come from this forum that make it into RM seems to be quite low, perhaps not as low as 1% but surely lower than 10% to 15%. Well, I don't know the exact percentage, but it seems really low.

Jerry