24 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

I did a google search for My Heritage.com since I have thought about trying it to see if it is worthwhile.  I always do this before I give anyone my credit card number to see if there is any problem cancelling during the free trial period.  What I found were complaints about it hijacking the home page on your web browser.  I don't know if this is still a problem but wanted to make others aware of it.  I think I will pass on trying MyHeritage.com out as a result of these complaints.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

I have been taking the same cautious approach to myheritage.com, and I do think this is a RootMagic issue because of RM7's myheritage.com support. I have found numerous very positive reviews of myheritage.com and numerous very negative reviews of myheritage.com. Such extreme reviews seem more full of emotions and opinions than of facts. Has anybody run across a factual and well balanced review they could recommend?

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

Home pages can easily be changed to what you want. I tried Family Tree Builder (if that's the right name) a year or so ago; nothing hijacked. I am a member (non-paying, I think) on someone else's tree. My impression is that the social networking component of MyHeritage is even stronger than that of Ancestry; its style is lighter, more pastel coloured, if that says anything. I get lots of updates about additions to his tree. I have the iPad app, too. I have only looked superficially at both the app and FTB since I'm not a subscriber. They are very graphic, stylistically similar to the website. I have not come upon any reviews that I remember.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

I like their public records database and marriage database. However I find that they are missing some of the records that others do have. Ancestry.com still has the most I would say that FamilySearch is currently second. 

The problem with taking over the browser home page is no longer the case. 

#5 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

Is the data found on MyHeritage sourced, i.e. whatever info one finds there is properly cited? Could not find anything on their cite addressing this? 

I suppose this is the equivalent to Ancestry's little leaves fluttering about....

Please Renee, tell us how MyHeritage differs, is better than the myriad of such programs on the net, all wanting a fee? 

I like RM by the way and chose it over other programs having many years experience of research behind me. I will likely turn off the little lightbulbs.....!

#6 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

Is the data found on MyHeritage sourced, i.e. whatever info one finds there is properly cited? Could not find anything on their cite addressing this? 

I suppose this is the equivalent to Ancestry's little leaves fluttering about....

Please Renee, tell us how MyHeritage differs, is better than the myriad of such programs on the net, all wanting a fee? 

I like RM by the way and chose it over other programs having many years experience of research behind me. I will likely turn off the little lightbulbs.....!

1.) The trees you find on MyHeritage may be. Just like the trees on Ancestry.com may be.  It depends on if they were gracious enough to source them. It Looks like MyHeritage has a lower percentage of sourced trees however. 

2.) Yes this is the equivalent of Ancestry's little leaves.

A lot of the information that you find on MyHeritiage you will also find on Ancestry.com. There are a few differences that I have seen however on records availability. The public records database reads more like your credit report. It is somewhat inaccurate for addresses just like Ancestry.com's that is not the fault of MyHeritiage but the dataset they are using. They have more recent marriages inside of the database. If I were looking for a marriage I would look in MyHeritage first. You can turn off the trees however and just get records. 

FamilySearch lightbulbs on the other hand are only records. The records are free. There is no hints for FamilySearch's collective genealogies. It links into FamilySearch's hints feature for people already in the FamilySearch FamilyTree system. If you are not getting the lighbulbs for earlier generations that were in the census then that individual is not likely in FamilySearch FamilyTree.  To take advantage of this you would have to add yourself and your relatives that are not in FamilySearch. 

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

FamilySearch lightbulbs on the other hand are only records.

it is true that FamilySearch only lights up the light bulb if there are records.  But having entered FamilySearch you then also see tree information associated with the individual (often unsourced). So it's still showing matches against trees. It's just that you don't see a match against the trees until it has first found a match against records.

Jerry

#8 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

it is true that FamilySearch only lights up the light bulb if there are records.  But having entered FamilySearch you then also see tree information associated with the individual (often unsourced). So it's still showing matches against trees. It's just that you don't see a match against the trees until it has first found a match against records.

Jerry

That is true but the good news is that once you attach that record to the tree(That is how you accept the hint) that unsourced event in FamilySearch Family Tree is now sourced. If enough people do this and we get enough records relevant to the events that are already in the tree FamilySearch changes from a mostly unsourced to a mostly sourced.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

In the Tools>File Options>WebHints settings you will see two options.

1. Record Matches (historical records)

2. Smart Matches (tree)

If you only want to see actual records (which would be sources) then check Record Matches. Someone mentioned that Geni is under Record Matches and they are user submitted trees, but not MyHeritages trees. Any tree is as a good as the user submitting it.

If you want to try out MyHeritage before you buy you can sign up for a trial with them. They are also available in any LDS Family History Center around the world. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Ted Steele

Ted Steele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

I also was interested in exploring MyHeritage and, like others, I looked into reviews.  It has gotten a LOT of VERY negative press -- especially about ongoing unwanted charges to one's credit card.  While it is tempting to subscribe to MyHeritage, I wouldn't even think about it until I knew that their credit practices have been corrected.

Since RM has decided to "partner" with this organization I believe they owe it to their customers to clarigy these concerns -- the sooner the better.

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

I also was interested in exploring MyHeritage and, like others, I looked into reviews.  It has gotten a LOT of VERY negative press -- especially about ongoing unwanted charges to one's credit card.  While it is tempting to subscribe to MyHeritage, I wouldn't even think about it until I knew that their credit practices have been corrected.

Since RM has decided to "partner" with this organization I believe they owe it to their customers to clarigy these concerns -- the sooner the better.

I agree completely Ted and hope you get an answer, I certainly would not like unwanted charges on my card or to be led in the direction of a company with such a reputation.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

All I can report is I have never had a billing issue problem with MyHeritage. I used to work for WorldVitalRecords that is now part of MyHeritage. I can tell you that people with unwanted billing typically never read the fine print about being billed after the trial ended. They also never called to cancel before the website auto-renewed. Then they get all upset that they were charged. People would go to the Better Business and report them but it was always the failure of the person to cancel properly. This is not something unique to MyHeritage it's typical of most subscription websites. 

When you cancel any subscription you need to retain your confirmation number and then go back to the company if there any disputes with it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

I'm not sure of what to make of an experience today with MyHeritage.

I used the link in RootsMagic to my own name to see what would result.

I was surprised to see personal information on myself and my family, including parents and children.

My concern is: If someone decides to misuse RootsMagic &/or MyHeritage by entering a name into their RootsMagic or MyHeritage database, could they gain access to information that could be misused?

DoninRiver

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

My concern is: If someone decides to misuse RootsMagic &/or MyHeritage by entering a name into their RootsMagic or MyHeritage database, could they gain access to information that could be misused?

http://archiver.root...5-02/1425135806

They do nothing with it. Do Tools > File Options > WebHints and then click
the link to see their privacy policy with regards to our WebHints. It
states "*The information passed to MyHeritage is never used for any other
purpose and will never be displayed, sold, licensed or used in any manner
whatsoever.*"

Deleting a tree from MyRootsMagic deletes the files.

- Bruce

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

You probably saw the Public Records database. MyHeritage purchased the rights to use it. I'm finding lovely things on my living cousins with it. Full birth names, addresses, phone numbers, family members. The thing you have to keep in mind that these public record databases are exactly that - information gathered under the rights to public records. If you search for a living person on Google you will see companies willing to sell you this information. Its just with the MyHeritage the database is included in your membership. Once its out there its out there. It didn't come from anyones genealogy. It came from utility bills, club memberships, all sorts of things you fill out and gave that information on.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

Or DoninRiver was alarmed to see such info about his immediate family on the MyHeritage Matches page in the sidebar "In my RootsMagic Tree". Vital facts are transmitted from the RM database to MyHeritage for everyone in one of the main views, Pedigree, Descendants, Family and remain on the MyHeritage server for months, at least, despite earlier claims that they were immediately deleted. Whatever the policy says, security is only as good as the people and systems protecting it... one would think credit card security would be even stronger than for a genealogy website and look how many breaches there have been on that front.

If you have concerns, then disable WebHints in your main database and do not use Publish Online from it. Rather, transfer those you want to publish or don't mind if their vitals stay on MyHeritage to a new database and enable WebHints on it or Publish Online from it. If you do modify this intermediate database as a consequence of WebHints you have followed up on, then you might find the File Compare tool useful for finding the changes and transferring them to your master. 

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

I respectfully disagree with TomH conclusion on what is happening with the MyHeritage WebHints. We have explained what is taking place over and over and its ignored. I imagine it was hard to explain how the telephone worked when it was first invented. So please read the MyHeritage Matching and Privacy Policy found under Tools>File Options>WebHints.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

So please read the MyHeritage Matching and Privacy Policy found under Tools>File Options>WebHints.

The explanation is not being ignored. The problem is that the observed behavior of the Web site does not appear to be the same as what is described in the Privacy Policy. The salient part of the privacy policy reads as follows: The information passed to MyHeritage is never used for any other purpose and will never be displayed, sold, licensed or used in any manner whatsoever.  

So let us focus in on the word "displayed" in this policy. When you look from RM at a match at MyHeritage.com, there is data from RM that is displayed in the browser by MyHeritage.com. The data appears on the left half of the screen, and it is there so you can compare what is in MyHeritage.com with the data that's in RM. The data can be very detailed data about a person, and can be data that appears nowhere else in the world except in your personal RM database. The data has been transmitted from RM to MyHeritage.com so it can be echoed back to you on a single screen. So far, so good - and there is not yet any violation of the privacy policy as long as that's all that happens.

So now do the following.  Make note of the URL that is displaying your data at the MyHeritage my site. For example, copy it from the browser and paste it into a file that you save on your computer somewhere.

Here's the test. Shut down RM so the AP can't possibly be running. Reboot your computer. Better yet, go to another computer that has never run RM and that has never been to MyHeritage.com. Open a  browser and enter in that same URL that you made note of.previously.  The exact same screen will appear as before, including your private data from your RM database on the left half of the screen.  So the private data from your RM database has been cached on the MyHeritage servers.

I will grant you that the data might be very difficult to access without that URL. But the data is absolutely still there on the MyHeritage servers, privacy policy or no. My expectation from the privacy policy is that the private data from my RM database would not be cached on the MyHeritage servers.

I will offer up the following URL as an example. The RM data being referenced is from my personal RM database. I'm willing to offer up the example because none of the individuals listed are still living.http://www.myheritag...ch_confidence=9

If my data is not there on the left side of the screen when you click on the URL, then I will apologize most profusely. But assuming that you will see my data (which I think you will), notice that access to the data does not require that you logon to MyHeritage.com nor even that you have a MyHeritage.com account. Furthermore, I think I can assure you that the some of that data is not anywhere on the MyHeritage.com site and that the only place said data appears anywhere in the world is in my RM database. And yet there is a URL that will fetch the data to anybody in the world because I had a WebHints match on RM.

Jerry

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thank you, Jerry. Here's what I see using your link - that's your RootsMagic Tree, not mine. And, yes, you and I have explained and demonstrated this over and over since December. WebHint URLs I recorded then still return the data that the WebHints function uploaded to MyHeritage then, over two months later.

Jerry_s_Web_Hints.jpg

#20 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3437 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

This approximates (in *WAY* overly-simplistic terms) what they do (we'll pretend they only support using ANSI encoding) and is not meant to be definitive in any way as to how MyHeritage actually does do things:

1. The human-readable text (eg. the person's name) is read in in it's raw form (all of the data would be too long for my example)
4d 61 72 79 20 4d 61 68 61 6c 61 20 4a 61 6e 65 20 22 48 61 6c 65 79 22 20 42 72 61 79

2. It likely is compressed (to minimize storage demands and/or obfuscate the data - could even be encrypted for all you know, but can be reconstructed upon demand)
eNozSVEwM1QwN1Iwt1QwMlAwAXPNLMBkMogECSaCuakKZqa8XEC+kZGCCVyFKVinEVidEcggkHGWvFwAACcQeg==

3. Then a hash is generated to represent a key value/link/means of indexing to get back to that data as a chunk (Simple MD5 for example) in their database/storage and for quick comparisons to avoid having to read in/access the data repeatedly where a set of matches al/a confidence level/and likley other related fields are stored for future recall/reference)
07022b6fb136be14dc5d1bea4a5e806d

4. The original submitter is given back a URL with either that direct hash in it
http :// www.myheritage.com/matchingresult-07022b6fb136be14dc5d1bea4a5e806d?match_type=record_matches&minimal_match_confidence=9

(or perhaps a URL with a unique hash generated from combining the original submitter's hash with some other data (like date/time of access, session number, uid, etc.)

5. Any subsequent submitters with exactly that same text who attempts to use webhints may get back that same URL or a modified one as mentioned above.

6. In a week/month/months/year/whatever, if they have not had another query to their API that requests matching that particular chunk of data ...it becomes Least Recently Used in their cache of online storage limit and gets dropped for replacement by more recent data and/or frequently re-accessed data.

Likely conclusion - your data is not stored in plain text to be stolen (if it were somehow even directly accessible), not displayed in searches on MyHeritage if a member hasn't consented, not sold, not licensed and ONLY displayed to those consumers who explicitly request the exact same data be compared/matched through the MyHeritage API to stored raw hashed data (ie. they already have the data). If you don't ever share the URL nobody is any the wiser.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N