• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RMed

RMed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

I just updated from RM6 to RM7 and added MB7 today. As programs, they work fine. But bringing over my 2012 RM files they do not open in MB7... either "locked" or needing another column, etc. Have tried several with always the same result. Do I need to export from PC as a GEDCOM to get the data over, and then import in version 7, or am I missing something that is simpler? I have a number of files, so this could be an extended session if I have to export/import each one and rebuild them. Any ideas?

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

I just updated from RM6 to RM7 and added MB7 today. As programs, they work fine. But bringing over my 2012 RM files they do not open in MB7... either "locked" or needing another column, etc. Have tried several with always the same result. Do I need to export from PC as a GEDCOM to get the data over, and then import in version 7, or am I missing something that is simpler? I have a number of files, so this could be an extended session if I have to export/import each one and rebuild them. Any ideas?

What level of RM created the files? RM7 under MacBridge should be able to open files created by RM6 on a PC (and probably those from some earlier levels).

You need to copy the files from the PC to the Mac, probably via a USB thumb drive. On the assumption that you have the various types of RM files in different folders - files, backup, media, GEDCOM, etc, I suggest you just copy the folders to the USB drive and then copy them from that to an appropriate location on your Mac. You will need to have the USB drive formatted in a format that both sides are happy with, such as one of the FAT ones.

#3 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

RMed

You should be able to open your RM6 files under MacBridge 7 without having to gedcom them over. In my case, I was using RM6 within Windows on my Mac by using Parallels. I had set it up long ago to store my database files and all my documents and media on my Mac side. So, the file system was already in place when I started using MacBridge. At this point, the only "problem" I have had, is that to create a gedcom from my MB, the file paths are wrong. For instance, the path might be Y:\Users\Documents\Genealogy\..... I have to open the gedcom in TextEdit, replace all \ with / and replace the Y drive with my own hard drive. It's pretty quick and easy to do. 

Could this file path issue by your problem? Or file permissions if you're copying files from a PC to your Mac?

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Try restoring a RM6 backup (RMGB) into RM7 with MacBridge and see if that works. Use File>Restore.

The RM6 database (RMGC) should open directly in RM7, so you might want to run the File>Database Tools on it in RM6 to make sure file corruption isn't an issue. 

Renee
RootsMagic