70 replies to this topic

#61 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

Well, I for one am going to give my thanks to Bruce.  I have been onboard since early in the Family Origins series.  Currently on RM5 with no immediate plans to upgrade...the program does 95% of what I need it to do with little problem.  My wife has the Ancestry program; and while it has a few nice features, I generally find it a large, expensive, and unwieldy beast.  RootMagic by comparison is a sports car.  The remaining field doesn't hold a candle to either of these.

The really serious people here have to realize what a tiny minority we amount to.  The typical customer is a casual (probably novice) user who is copying info from cyberspace and considers that a reliable source.  It's a hobby.  This is typical for a great deal of software titles; and developers like Bruce have to go where the money is, while still trying to throw in enough features for the hardcore users.  I do not envy them.

Ron

Ron I agree with most of what you say, but when you pay to upgrade to RM 7 or BUY RM 7 from new ..........it has to work for beginners and serious genealogists.It has too many problems in it's current state.

I for one have gone back to RM 6 after buying the RM 7 and IMO would recommend people to stay away from it until it is fixed.

#62 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

The really serious people here have to realize what a tiny minority we amount to.  The typical customer is a casual (probably novice) user who is copying info from cyberspace and considers that a reliable source.  It's a hobby.  This is typical for a great deal of software titles; and developers like Bruce have to go where the money is, while still trying to throw in enough features for the hardcore users.  I do not envy them.

Ron

You have classified things very well, for the purpose of authenticity I do fear were genealogical research will go, software is pressing it into the world of Chinese whispers and online authentication.

We can only hope that someone serious about genuine genealogical research breaks this mode of gossip room online genealogy.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#63 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

I for one have gone back to RM 6 after buying the RM 7 and IMO would recommend people to stay away from it until it is fixed.

Whilst I see merit in some new features I believe I will now stay put on RM6 and concentrate on serious research rather than support a direction not of my liking.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#64 GinnyB

GinnyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

I assumed I was a "typical customer"  -  I can't be :) .

I do agree with the comment made earlier that, at present anyway, no one genealogy programme offers everything one could want. No harm in asking though and listing the specific issues  can only be helpful, eventually, I hope.

I'll probably stick with RM7 - I've paid for it so may as well keep it. Some features I probably just won't use at present.

#65 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

Well, I for one am going to give my thanks to Bruce.  I have been onboard since early in the Family Origins series.  Currently on RM5 with no immediate plans to upgrade...the program does 95% of what I need it to do with little problem.  My wife has the Ancestry program; and while it has a few nice features, I generally find it a large, expensive, and unwieldy beast.  RootMagic by comparison is a sports car.  The remaining field doesn't hold a candle to either of these.

Ron

And there you have it .... the evolution of mediocrity.

:wacko: 

#66 slimjim

slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

Ron

Well Ron this post has managed to have an impact. On my count so far it has been quoted or mentioned at least 4 times but if we examine what you are saying here what it comes down to is that you find RM5 totally satisfactory and have no intention of upgrading yet and that statement is worth making and presumably is correct.

The rest of your post is mythology on a par with an unsourced online tree containing a sequence of statements regarding the quality of other software, the quality of the customers and the quality of the software developers of such software but with no apparent evidence to back up your statements. 

#67 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Ron

Ron what can I say. How about upgrading to Ver 7 and see if you can give some praise for this version.I would like to be the first to hear from you after a few days of upgrading to version 7.

Cannot wait to hear from you after this takes place.

#68 alderon

alderon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

Sheesh, people...my only purpose was to express my appreciation for a product that is lightyears better than my old notebooks, photocopied charts, and Post-It notes.  Version 5 wasn't perfect; and version 7 or 8 may never be perfect either.  Neither is Bruce, neither is Ancestry, or anything else.  I understand frustration, and I'm not pushing mediocrity; but this isn't life or death.

Back to lurking.

#69 Gene Hacker

Gene Hacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hi, I have been reading these forums for around 2 weeks now as me and my wife were looking for a new genealogy software platform. I have to say it will not be Rootsmagic at this time but I thought it was hardly fair to leave the forum again without making a few observations.

Every piece of software paints a great sales picture of their respective features, some are closer to the truth than others. Also the users range from that one off Christmas present that may or may not get used to the more serious researcher who is building a work of quality and I won't speculate on the likely percentage breakdown.

Active posters on forums like this would be from the relatively small percentage of the more serious researcher wanting better features and improved operation, and it seems to me that Rootsmagic place a low priority on that input. That's a pity as I always understood the appeal of Rootsmagic was the listening ear behind the forums genuinly wanting to build a better quality product and it now seems commercial decisions are by far the more important ones.

I did a search for Renee and Tracking System and that is one mighty long list dating back several years. I work in IT and unless many of these things have been incorporated in the program it puzzles me as to why not as many are very simple tweaks. It would seem that a new feature is intruduced (that's the sales pitch satisfied) but it is incomplete in many ways and that simply never gets dealt with. It would also appear that beta testing is either very brief, non existant or being carried out by people who do not understand genuine genealogy needs.

For me software is about the time it takes to do simple tasks and of course the quality of reporting, I don't want to sit for half an hour entering details for one individual or family when there is a quicker way. I watched a few bits of webinars and an example of one feature I did like which was the copy and paste of sources is even flawed. If I were to enter a bunch of census data it would appear I have paste the source to each individual fact! Is it not common sense that if I am entering a bunch of data it almost invariably comes from the same source and I should be allowed to quickly paste the source to all?

Place reconciliation also looks a nightmare compared to other programs which make better use of lifting information from Bing maps. I have also read a lot about window size and position not being remembered, that's a pretty basic expectation and if I handed such a thing to my boss it would be swiftly handed back.

Anyway, I wish you all the very best but as an outsider I feel you have lost the battle. Ongoing little quality issues and gaps in operation, which are many, can only show that quality is not high on the company agenda. That being the case I believe the evolution of Rootsmagic will continue along the lines of the bean counters who just want to advertise they have a feature regardless of it's quality or completeness.

Finally it seems the reputation of Rootsmagic users being close to their author is obviously an old legacy notion which is no longer the case.

Gene

#70 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

........   an example of one feature I did like which was the copy and paste of sources is even flawed. If I were to enter a bunch of census data it would appear I have paste the source to each individual fact! Is it not common sense that if I am entering a bunch of data it almost invariably comes from the same source and I should be allowed to quickly paste the source to all?

I have the same issue, but I think it doesn't have an easy solution. I would have to ask the question: quickly paste the source to all "what"?

I'm presently working on a project to apply my "extremely split" sourcing techniques to some census data. I have decided that for the purposes of my "extremely split sources" that a single RM Master Source corresponds to a single census image. (Well, there is the problem of a single family unit spanning two pages, but let's ignore that little detail for a moment).

I'm finding that even with my "extremely split" sourcing techniques, I have to do an enormous amount of pasting of a single memorized citation. That's in part because the same RM Master source may have to be pasted to many individuals from the same census image (either because of large families, or because several families on the same census image are mine), and in part because the same census image may need to be cited as a source for several different facts for the same individual (the census fact itself, the birth fact, the person's name, and a marriage fact in some cases). So a single census image can easily result in over 100 paste operations.

The good news is that if I have any corrections that I ever need to make to my extremely split Master Source, I can make the corrections just one time in my single Master Source and the corrections immediately apply to all the huge number of citations for the Master Source. The bad news is that the pasting operation is still tedious, time consuming, and error prone. For example, it's easy after a while to paste a memorized citation to the wrong fact, and it's hard to be sure you have visited all the individuals who are listed in the census image. It's still way better than with Master Sources that are more lumped, but I still wish it could be better. As I said, it's hard to picture an easy solution. Perhaps there could be a mechanism developed whereby a memorized citation could be "tagged" to multiple individuals and facts in a fashion somewhat analogous to the way that a single media file can be tagged to multiple objects with RM. But I would still have to decide which individuals and which facts.

Jerry

#71 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Sorry everyone but I have to close this forum thread. Not because you don't have a voice, its simply because there are to many topics being discussed in this one thread. It makes it difficult for me to manage and make sure everything is being addressed. I've noted issues and enhancements needed in our tracking system. I know you don't like to hear that but that's the only way I can keep track of what I've done on the forum and make sure development has items grouped in a logical manner. 

If you have questions you feel were not addressed please open another forum thread. Keeping it down to one feature at a time is helpful for everyone. So I don't care how many new threads you open. 

Renee
RootsMagic