• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#41 Brian Lummis

Brian Lummis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

I stand corrected, although that is not obvious from the Announcements front page.

#42 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

Somebody else might as well take them.  :wacko:   It would be more honest if some most of the "confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system" responses were replaced with "No way! Not now, not ever!" because frankly, we already know how this song is gonna end.

This may be a little curt and not to everyone's liking but don't blame a person for their delivery, it's what they say that's important.

Aristotle once wrote; “Nature abhors a vacuum. Desired enhancements and improved functionality will be provided by some vendor, those vendors who don't meet the needs of their customers will eventually fail.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#43 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

Providing positive comments as usual - NOT.  Just curious why do you troll this forum.  Obviously you hate the RootsMagic software, so why waste everybody's time with your no value added snipes?

I have purchased every version since Day 1 of FamilyOrigins.  Apparently all of that money went into your pocket, giving you the right to dictate what I say.   If you'll issue me a refund check in the amount of $309.25, I'll gladly let you have your way with me.    Mouth off again - I'll tack on interest charges.

#44 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

Interested to see a few additional features in RM7, which I'm sure will be of use to some users especially if they need help correcting errors they made inputting name and/or place data, or if they publish online with a competitor company.  A great shame, however, that once again many valuable improvements and fixes that have been requested have yet again been side-lined.  Probably pointless speculating about the reason for this.

I would hazard a guess that, by and large, those users of the Forum who take the time to highlight programming issues and contribute suggestions for enhancements are likely to have accumulated significant genealogical experience and often possess a reasonable technical appreciation of what can realistically be delivered.  Assuming this premise to be correct, it is all the more surprising that these suggestions are bypassed in favour of additions that it seems have not been asked for.

Our choices would seem to be to i) to sit tight in the hope that some of the very many 'tracked items' might eventually surface, or ii) to stop wasting our time (& that of the developers in reading them) and to look to alternatives.

I have added possible upgrade to RM& to my own 'tracked changes' and in the fullness of time, at some point in the future I might, perhaps, invest in the new version, if I get around to it and if I see anything that offers any improvement.

#45 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

Our choices would seem to be to i) to sit tight in the hope that some of the very many 'tracked items' might eventually surface, or ii) to stop wasting our time (& that of the developers in reading them) and to look to alternatives.

Well said, that seems to be it in a nutshell and I am doing the later just now.

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#46 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

Renee said "It took 4 years to complete the rewrite of RootsMagic from version 3 to 4. We are only 2 years into this rewrite for the native Mac & PC version. We had to wait for development tools to be completed before we could begin. Working on the direct import of TMG files further slowed that down. I'm not saying the re-write version is now 2 years away, no one has an answer for that."

Quite depressing. How many more rewrites are we going to go though? Will this one be followed by a re-write for the Cloud?

And all the time genuine improvements to the programme, or resolution of many long outstanding issues, are not forthcoming. RM is looking more like a dormant product.

MVS.

#47 austrian_genealogy

austrian_genealogy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

When rhe forums becomes nothing but a place to complain about RM, maybe RM should shut the forums down.

That would be the wrong move. Criticism is never pleasant but a company should listen to its customers. In the past, there have been so many constructive comments and suggestions which disappeared in a black box called tracking system.

I recognize a common feeling among the users that they have to pay 20$ for new functions they had not asked for. "It would have been better if RM had released the new functions within a version 6.4 or 6.5.

I know it's a balancing act:

on the one hand having visions, implementing new functions the users didn't even dream of,...

on the other hand small improvements, bug fixing,...

Currently, the main objective of RM seems to be not satisfying current customers but gaining new ones:

* PAF users

* TMG users

* Apple users

But I am sure Bruce and his team can draw their attention to the positive aspects of the crticism.

Reinhard

#48 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

I am looking forward to the webinar on Tuesday and seeing RM7 and what it does have to offer. I have never said that I was deserting Rootsmagic at this time but faster development in other camps may the decision to change less painful in the future.

Well fate seems to have dealt the final blow, I got my registration nice and early and set aside the time to view the webinar but it was not to be. When I arrived at the virtual door I was told my ticket was invalid and I could not come in.

session.png

I decided to contact the organizer as suggested and register my disapproval so emailed webinars@rootsmagic.com as suggested but got the following undelivered message.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

webinars@rootsmagic.com

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<webinars@rootsmagic.com>:

host mail.rootsmagic.com [208.83.252.218]: 550 <webinars@rootsmagic.com> No such user here

I guess that kinda sums it up, problem after problem, poorly planned or poorly executed, I will leave that for others to decide. For now and over the past years enough of my time has been wasted.

Root

#49 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thanks so much for creating a new version, but until RM is better interfaced with ancestry.com, I won't be upgrading.

I'm sorry but I have just the opposite reason for not wanting to go to RM7: It seems to share entirely too much of my data with sites over the Internet. I learned that unless you go to rather extraordinary lengths to prevent it, RM7 uploads your entire database, including "excluded" and "privatized" records to their webserver when you use the Publish Online feature. I also have concerns about the data regarding living people that are sent to WebHints sites. I've explicitly told many people that nothing they tell me will be uploaded to any website as long as they are still alive. To me this free-wheeling interface to the web is a security disaster waiting to happen.

#50 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

I would like to revisit the shortcomings of Rootsmagics Duplicate Search Merge when measured against the flexibilities of Legacy Family Tree.

I am no fan of the look of Legacy but their duplicate merge utility allows comparison of most important information on one screen through the use of tabs. Legacy also facilitates the copying of events from Duplicate to Primary person and the dropping (deleting) of duplicate events or just less accurate event information.

At present, in RM, I always select Merge and then worry about editing afterwards as my fear is accidentally dropping important information. This leads to a build up of unnecessary duplicate information which then needs to be dealt with at a later date.

The ability to make these changes on a side by side UI is much more useful than the present RM UI and RM could easily leap ahead by simply adding more information and options to the existing colourful screen like the mockup below. I do hope some improvements are made to this ever more important utility in the next version release.

merge-screen-mockup.png

Having watched the webinar I probably will now upgrade to RM7 but maybe wait until v7.1. Whilst personally I still find find it weak on much needed enhancements I can see some benefit to me in the interim.

I say in the interim as I can understand RM not wanting to invest in RM6 code where that code is now really redundant pending the re-write. So I am gonna trust that those much needed upgrades which have graced these pages for almost 5 years are being seriously worked on, the negatives on this thread has just reinforced their importance.

The compare database feature mirrors a suggestion made some time ago and it would have been very useful to me several years ago when I was combining databases. Whilst it looks useful I would have preferred the same functionality to be in Duplicate Search Merge and again I am trusting such functionality will be in the re-write when it comes to market.

Root

#51 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:10 AM

When rhe forums becomes nothing but a place to complain about RM, maybe RM should shut the forums down.

If the forums become a place where people only say nice things about RM, that's when the stop having a purpose.  The only reason to shut down a site because of complaints is if they want to say that they aren't interested in what their customers have to say. Which would just be another way of saying that they aren't interested in having our business.

#52 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

If the forums become a place where people only say nice things about RM, that's when the stop having a purpose....

Agreed! 

IMO, the forum is the perfect place to discuss customer concerns, likes, and dislikes.  Moreover, it is a critical part of the software development and enhancement process.

From my perspective, there are some here who take RM criticism personally - as if they were being attacked rather than recognizing that the comment(s) are reflections of someone's frustration, or desire to emphasize something important to them.

And therein lies the problem.  What we may want to see corrected/ improved is typically not in alignment with someone else's  priority - more so the RM business need. ;)

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#53 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

Agreed! 

IMO, the forum is the perfect place to discuss customer concerns, likes, and dislikes.  Moreover, it is a critical part of the software development and enhancement process.

From my perspective, there are some here who take RM criticism personally - as if they were being attacked rather than recognizing that the comment(s) are reflections of someone's frustration, or desire to emphasize something important to them.

And therein lies the problem.  What we may want to see corrected/ improved is typically not in alignment with someone else's  priority - more so the RM business need. ;)

That is because to them their choice is being attacked. It is a normal human reaction. 

http://news.discover...ideo-140915.htm

The forums are a good place to leave feedback. They are also a place to where RootsMagic can provide free support(to them) for users helping users. In addition to a place to where generic questions can be answered and documented freely. 

#54 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

I'm sorry but I have just the opposite reason for not wanting to go to RM7: It seems to share entirely too much of my data with sites over the Internet. I learned that unless you go to rather extraordinary lengths to prevent it, RM7 uploads your entire database, including "excluded" and "privatized" records to their webserver when you use the Publish Online feature. I also have concerns about the data regarding living people that are sent to WebHints sites. I've explicitly told many people that nothing they tell me will be uploaded to any website as long as they are still alive. To me this free-wheeling interface to the web is a security disaster waiting to happen.

I agree with Don. I just built my first tree on MyRootsMagic RM7 and I have found that my birth date, and all my facts execpt my name are available to be displayed. I had built, and used, a named group starting with my father. The named group looks OK, but the tree seems to have all the people in my RM7 database.

#55 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

It's taken a while to dawn on me but we really are playing a game f two halves. At the end of the webinar Webhints and Publish Online were top whereas my favourites of DataClean, File Compare and Quickgroups were relegated in importance. So what does that say for the market RM are chasing? well in my opinion the market who are looking for easy online and low quality answers rather than archive visits, serious genealogy data mining, proving and sourcing.

So what of the people on this forum? are they typically those looking for greater quality and accuracy of information and output, greater utilities to help resolve niggling problems, critical thinkers and systems analysts?. With a few exceptions I would say yes, a mixture of the above, caring users and people with forward thinking ideas and insights who happily work for nothing trying to improve Rootsmagic through choice. However it is very evident to me now that those ideas which would much improve ANY genealogy program are often not seen to be commercially viable and therefore carry a low priority. So commercial viability appears to come far ahead of program quality whereas they should at least run side by side, all this can be seen from the various uncompleted and fragmented features already existing within Rootsmagic despite numerous posts by numerous forum members.

I now believe one could envisage the greatest quality improvement idea, describe and deliver it perfectly and Rootsmagic would not incorporate it if it did not fit with their own plans or the agenda in those "secret labs". I won't further question the the logic of development here except to say that quality appears to be rather low in the plans of Rootsmagic.

Having to jump in and out, back and forth in the many of the existing features, window sizes not being remembered, automerges not automerging, lack of reporting and associations of various features and data, etc. etc. is not the build of a quality program and many of these problems have dragged on unattended since at least the release of Rootsmagic 4 almost 5 years ago.

BTW, all of my visual representations and mockups with the exception of the one earlier on this thread have now been removed, it was time wasted.

Root

#56 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Another significant market segment are those first time buyers who shop based on a "sexy" features list and then lose interest when they discover there is effort required. I once did an analysis of the Forum's Members activity level and observed that the huge majority became inactive shortly after joining. Lack of Forum activity, even a visit, suggests the person is not using the software.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#57 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

Another significant market segment are those first time buyers who shop based on a "sexy" features list and then lose interest when they discover there is effort required. I once did an analysis of the Forum's Members activity level and observed that the huge majority became inactive shortly after joining. Lack of Forum activity, even a visit, suggests the person is not using the software.

As long as they paid for it and there is another catchment for two years time RM can always sell some more snake oil at the next town.

Root

#58 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

I am sure many of us serious genealogist right now are thinking do we want to sit tight and wait for RootsMagic to develop these tools (Proper Merging, Standardize places reports, Better sourcing of individuals, better export of sources) to help us. The returning customers time after time, upgrade after upgrade. Or do we want to move to another genealogy software and put forth the effort required to clean up our data in the new program. 

No genealogy program has all the features that are needed for a serious genealogist while also supporting the massive novice market and the FamilySearch API. RootsMagic has the potential to get there. 

RootsMagic has the fastest development schedule that I can see. This is why I decided to stick with RootsMagic for now. Hopefully they live up to my expectation on being the first that has all the tools and features that is required to properly document and become a source worthy of passing down. 

#59 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

I am sure many of us serious genealogist right now are thinking do we want to sit tight and wait for RootsMagic to develop these tools (Proper Merging, Standardize places reports, Better sourcing of individuals, better export of sources) to help us. The returning customers time after time, upgrade after upgrade. Or do we want to move to another genealogy software and put forth the effort required to clean up our data in the new program. 

No genealogy program has all the features that are needed for a serious genealogist while also supporting the massive novice market and the FamilySearch API. RootsMagic has the potential to get there. 

RootsMagic has the fastest development schedule that I can see. This is why I decided to stick with RootsMagic for now. Hopefully they live up to my expectation on being the first that has all the tools and features that is required to properly document and become a source worthy of passing down. 

Here here........as I have just downloaded version 6 again to get away from the massive problems in version 7

#60 alderon

alderon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

Well, I for one am going to give my thanks to Bruce.  I have been onboard since early in the Family Origins series.  Currently on RM5 with no immediate plans to upgrade...the program does 95% of what I need it to do with little problem.  My wife has the Ancestry program; and while it has a few nice features, I generally find it a large, expensive, and unwieldy beast.  RootMagic by comparison is a sports car.  The remaining field doesn't hold a candle to either of these.

The really serious people here have to realize what a tiny minority we amount to.  The typical customer is a casual (probably novice) user who is copying info from cyberspace and considers that a reliable source.  It's a hobby.  This is typical for a great deal of software titles; and developers like Bruce have to go where the money is, while still trying to throw in enough features for the hardcore users.  I do not envy them.

Ron