• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#1 gramssearch

gramssearch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

Thanks so much for creating a new version, but until RM is better interfaced with ancestry.com, I won't be upgrading. In fact, I'm about to purchase a competitor's product. I've been a RM user for ages, but find it so frustrating to have so many errors to fix and tweaks to make when importing my ancestry.com tree, not to mention the hassle of no media transferring.

Sure hope that this fix is in the works!

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:28 AM

We need the Genealogical industry to agree on a standard to transfer data and media first. I wish you luck on finding a program that fits your needs. The only program currently that syncs with Ancestry.com is Family Tree Maker. I foresee them to be the only program that does so for the foreseeable future. 

I recently imported my ancestry.com tree that I downloaded as a gedcom and it worked rather well. I made a few tweaks but I was even able to get to compare data rather well I was able to do this thanks to the compare tree and import lists feature in Version 7. Getting changes I made back to ancestry was a loosing battle though. I will have to create a new tree every time if that is what I want. I don't know if it is worth the hassle however to merge the two. 

I wish ancestry.com just charged for a addon or something that could be installed in common genealogical programs. Or provided a API so the developers of the genealogical program could make features that work with their data. They might be able to make more data off the access of it too. 

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

Sue Maxwell posted this to the RootsMagic-Users list on RootsWeb today:

I just posted a couple of articles about my use of RootsMagic 7 today
and the integration with MyHeritage. They might be of help to some of
you. One is especially important for those of you that also use
FamilyTreeMaker to download your Ancestry tree information. I found a
great way to get that info into RootsMagic using the new Compare Files
feature!

granitegenealogy.blogspot.com

Sue

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

For RM to sync directly with Ancestry.com as it does FsmilySearch Family Tree, Ancestry.com would have to release an API for other programs to use.

Family Tree Maker is Ancestry's product so, of course, Ancestry syncs it with Ancestry.com so they can sell more of Family Tree Maker.

The problem is with Ancestry.com and not other third party genealogy programs. Ancestry.com is where users need to complain.

I don't expect Ancestry.com to release an API as it isn't really in their best business interest to do so.

#5 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

Sue Maxwell posted this to the RootsMagic-Users list on RootsWeb today:

I just posted a couple of articles about my use of RootsMagic 7 today
and the integration with MyHeritage. They might be of help to some of
you. One is especially important for those of you that also use
FamilyTreeMaker to download your Ancestry tree information. I found a
great way to get that info into RootsMagic using the new Compare Files
feature!

granitegenealogy.blogspot.com

Sue

I was really excited about this and was why I upgraded. Too bad Family Tree maker has such a horrible merge that you can't sync back to Ancestry.com.

#6 DonaldP

DonaldP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

OK, so I just upgraded my RootsMagic to Version 7.  Now I find I have (if I want to use all that is available) to subscribe to MyHeritage for $119. a year.  So.....I did.....and see where they also have their own software available.  My question is:  What is the relationship between RootsMagic and MyHeritage?  ...and why would RootsMagic link with a competitor who also sells genealogy software? 

I would also like to know what the advantage is of having both RM7 and the free MyHeritage Software.  This is not a complaint,  just looking for some information and direction. 

#7 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

MyHeritage software is available for free. It is made to make it easier to create and sync a tree in MyHeritage. Ancestry sells Family Tree Maker. RootsMagic wants to link to MyHeritage because they want to display their hints in RootsMagic.

#8 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

What is the relationship between RootsMagic and MyHeritage? 

The relationship is $$.

#9 GinnyB

GinnyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Mmmm.  "Each to his own" I suppose, but I must say I was surprised that RootsMagic have teamed up with MyHeritage.

I upgraded to RM7 and then looked at some of the lightbulb hints. Most were for online trees on MyHeritage and the pressure to subscribe was immediately apparent. I decided to at least look at MyHeritage (I don't 'do' online trees) so downloaded the free software, which does look appealing. But playing around with it for a few days was enough for me to get very tired of the constant pressure to pay a subscription, in which case I think I have to have an online presence by the look of it.

That is not my thing at all  (strange that MyHeritage have not gone the way of other genealogy software companies and at least offered a paid for, fully functional tree which does not have to be hooked up to an online site), so in order to relieve my irritation at both RootsMagic and MyHeritage, I have used the tools options in RootsMagic to turn MyHeritage off.

No offence to MyHeritage, I can see lots of people love the online scenario - just not me!

#10 Shuggie B

Shuggie B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

I joined this forum specifically to express my displeasure with the latest version of Roots Magic.

I totally agree with GinnyB. I don't want to be pressurised into using on-line databases; nor do I want to publish my family tree or look at other peoples which more often than not contain misleading errors. It's on-line Chinese whispers!

What did I get that's useful in this new version? Nothing I've found so far.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

QuickGroups is worth every penny I spent to upgrade by itself! And, I will be using the other new fearures as I need them.

If you don't want to use the WebHints, go to Tools, File options, WebHints and uncheck Enable WebHints.

RM is not forcing any user to use any online trees against their will.

If you contact RootsMagic and tell them you are unhappy with RM 7, they will probably refund your money. I am not an employee so I can't make any promises that they will do so. If you get a refund, uninstall RM 7 from your computer.

#12 GinnyB

GinnyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with RM itself, I like it very much and am happy to have paid to upgrade etc. I'm just saying I found MyHeritage to be very 'in your face' when I had a look at it by downloading the free software.

I'm very relieved that RM does give us the option to turn off aspects, or parts of,  the programme that we don't want (I did, as noted in my previous post)- that is something that MH does not seem to do (meaning one can't turn off the popup dialogue which constantly tells one to 'sync' which really means upgrade). So, big thumbs up to RM for that and for many other features I like.

#13 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

I remember a commercial from way back that said,
Try It; You Liked It. So I will be brave and try it.
Maybe some of my headaches will disappear.

#14 GinnyB

GinnyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

I have RM7, like it (on the whole).

I have tried online trees, really, although not MH - but they're not for me.

There are thousands of people who clearly do love them and make wonderful use of them -  equally there are many who  do not require/want them, for whatever reason.

Each preference is perfectly valid and requires no justification.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

RootsMagic would love to provide Ancestry.com WebHints, they just need to provide the API for us to do so. Since this is very new and innovative technology Ancestry.com may feel more inclined to respond favorably to users requesting this type of service.

If we can eventually provide Ancestry.com WebHints it would require a subscription, just like MyHeritage currently does. So please keep that in mind if you're upset that you have to pay for a MyHeritage subscription to view their records. It costs companies lots of money to host, digitize, index and make records searchable.

FamilySearch has made an arrangement with MyHeritage making the website available for free at ever Family History Center and Family History Library worldwide. It may be possible to use RootsMagic there to view the hints you are receiving. RootsMagic is provided free to all FHC so if your local one doesn't have the program installed you can have them contact us for a license. Otherwise you can use RootsMagic To-Go while there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

I guess this is the official 'gripe' thread for RM7. I, too, am not upgrading at this time due to the apparent lack of responsiveness to users that are willing to spend time in this forum helping support this product. As a refugee from Genbox, I believe I joined this forum around RM3. One of the earliest requests/suggestions that I made was the ability to control the sequence of Source Citations during display and output and the ability to suppress output of selected Source Citations. At that time I was told that this had already been suggested prior to my arrival. Now, at version 7, there is no mention or hint of such a feature, along with many other great suggestions that have gone down the rabbit hole of the 'Tracking System.' For four versions I have waited for SOMETHING to come out of that hole, but alas, each new version touts new bells and whistles that have never been mentioned by users. Sorry, but I'm out.

Best regards,

Paul

#17 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:17 AM

I guess this is the official 'gripe' thread for RM7. I, too, am not upgrading at this time due to the apparent lack of responsiveness to users that are willing to spend time in this forum helping support this product. As a refugee from Genbox, I believe I joined this forum around RM3. One of the earliest requests/suggestions that I made was the ability to control the sequence of Source Citations during display and output and the ability to suppress output of selected Source Citations. At that time I was told that this had already been suggested prior to my arrival. Now, at version 7, there is no mention or hint of such a feature, along with many other great suggestions that have gone down the rabbit hole of the 'Tracking System.' For four versions I have waited for SOMETHING to come out of that hole, but alas, each new version touts new bells and whistles that have never been mentioned by users. Sorry, but I'm out.

Best regards,

Paul

I can understand your frustration I am starting to get there too. They are currently working on a rewrite of the entire program:

http://forums.rootsm...ctions/?p=67729

Hopefully this will address some long standing issues:

1.) Source still do not export well. This has been a problem for a while. Please see: 

http://forums.rootsm...porting-gedcom/

I see no reason why they would not want to fulfill this request. It is causing a small population of users to miss on one of the major selling points of RootsMagic. But yet it is essential for sharing.

2.) There is still no way to check if places are standardized in your database. Apparently this has been a problem for a while.:

http://forums.rootsm...ardized-report/

http://forums.rootsm...-to-placeclean/

The only reason why I can think they have not done anything with this yet was that they were expecting to be able to use FamilySearch's Database to assist them on this matter. They disconnected the old database however and the new one is currently under development.

https://familysearch...esources#places

3.)  Clipboard library(Suggested Mar 20 2012 03:45 PM)

4.) The compare database feature is helping a lot but still needs improvement to resolve my request regarding merge issues. 

I am sure some other can come up with more. However those are my top 4 long standing issues. 

#18 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:58 AM

When rhe forums becomes nothing but a place to complain about RM, maybe RM should shut the forums down.

#19 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

When rhe forums becomes nothing but a place to complain about RM, maybe RM should shut the forums down.

Laura, unfortunately I have seen similar gripes on other genealogy software lists.  There are always those who are insulted by the fact that they have made suggestions for the program and those suggestions haven't been implemented.  Usually, (not always) their suggestions are a benefit to a small group whereas the developer is concerned with making improvements/enhancements that benefit the majority of the customers.

#20 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

Laura and RobB,

Please accept my apologies for being so selfish. I now realize that I am the only one who would benefit from the items I mentioned, along with reverse hierarchy sorting of the Place List, which garnered a lot of attention at one time, until everyone simply gave up. I'm not insulted, I'm merely disappointed.

All I am saying is that I would like to see a list of items that went into the Tracking System over the last five years that have, in fact, been implemented. I would think that RM would be proud to display such a list.