4 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

Having found that there has been no change in the database structure between RootsMagic 6 and 7, I asked the RootsMagician if there was any risk in moving a database file back and forth between the two versions. He says there should not be. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

That's just what I came here to find out. I take it to mean that there will not be problems, or does "should" mean he's not 100% sure. Hoping Bruce will pop in and give the word.

~ Debbie

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

I tried it.

You can open a database made either in RM 7 or RM 6 and have no problems with the database.

The database structure didn't change. New major features were added just like Bruce sometimes does in an update.

I am pretty sure Bruce said there shouldn't be a problem because he hadn't actually tried it out as there would really be no point in using RM 6 instead of RM 7 to work on a database that wasn't converted from a RM 6 database to a RM 7 database because changes were made to the database structure.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

Collaborators could be using the two versions...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yup, you can open the same database in RM6 or RM7.  I did it all while beta testing and it didn't cause any issues. 

Renee
RootsMagic