21 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have not purchased Roots Magic 7 yet but it sounded from the announcement as if any changes to your database are automatically made to your tree on Publish Online.  Has the 50MB limit been increased?  Are research notes now included with the source?  Is there any way for Google to search it?  Can HTML files still be created in Roots Magic 7?  These are some of the questions I have before I purchase Roots Magic 7.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

Q. it sounded from the announcement as if any changes to your database are automatically made to your tree on Publish Online

A. The changes are not made immediately to your tree after you make changes in your database. You do need to click an icon to re-publish, which will simply load your changed database to the server to replace the one already there. All the settings you had previously will remain the same. 

Q. Has the 50MB limit been increased?

A. In RM6 you had a limit of 2 websites with the combined size limit of 50MB.  In RM7 you can have up to 10 websites with a combined size limit of 100MB.

Q. Are research notes now included with the source?

A. Sources are exactly the same as they appeared in RM6 version of Publish Online. Confirming this is an enhancement request in our tracking system.

Q. Is there any way for Google to search it?

A. Yes, these websites can be indexed by Google and are fully searchable. If you don't want the site indexed and searchable by Google then you need to password protect it. Which you can do on the website's online settings.

Q. Can HTML files still be created in Roots Magic 7?

A. Yes, the old HTML websites are still there under Internet>Generate files for a website.  You will also find the RM6 version Publish Online websites there so you can generate your own files to upload to your website.  The new Publish Online websites will only upload to our server for hosting. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Dori Partsch

Dori Partsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Q. Are research notes now included with the source?

A. Sources are exactly the same as they appeared in RM6 version of Publish Online. Confirming this is an enhancement request in our tracking system.

I want to lobby hard for the addition of research notes (detail text) to the sources in the Publish Online feature.  Some of us use the "Detail Text" screen to record significant information that we consider essential in our online citations as well as in any report.  Until my extensive research notes are included, I do not want to upload my tree using Publish Online.  And for that reason, thanks much for keeping the HTML website feature.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 BobDonLI

BobDonLI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

The new Publish Online websites will only upload to our server for hosting. 

Assuming that RM6 Publish Online becomes a legacy feature (like HTML publishing became in RM6) and will no longer be actively developed, does this mean that going forward (assuming I want to be able to use newly added features) the ONLY way to publish online directly from RM will be to RM's servers?

#6 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

Q. Is there any way for Google to search it?

A. Yes, these websites can be indexed by Google and are fully searchable. If you don't want the site indexed and searchable by Google then you need to password protect it. Which you can do on the website's online settings.

Renee, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you right.  In RM6 the Publish Online home pages were indexed by Google but not the entire site.  So only the home page would come up in a web search.  Am I understanding you right that ALL the pages generated by Publish Online are now fully search-able  and indexed by Google?  This would be great if it is.  I've had to keep 2 copies of my site linked together one in the PO version that I like and another in HTML just for search engines.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Assuming that RM6 Publish Online becomes a legacy feature (like HTML publishing became in RM6) and will no longer be actively developed, does this mean that going forward (while being able to use any future added features) the ONLY way to publish online directly from RM will be to RM's servers?

I have no idea.  Before that could possibly ever happen we would have to support websites larger than 100 MB. My personal website is almost that limit, forget adding two. As a company we are paying for this hosting and don't charge our users anything. It would seem to be an advantage for RootsMagic to allow users the ability to host their own larger websites as they wish. I just don't know what future plans are so my opinion is pure speculation. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

Renee, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you right.  In RM6 the Publish Online home pages were indexed by Google but not the entire site.  So only the home page would come up in a web search.  Am I understanding you right that ALL the pages generated by Publish Online are now fully search-able  and indexed by Google?  This would be great if it is.  I've had to keep 2 copies of my site linked together one in the PO version that I like and another in HTML just for search engines.

Yes, this is something that development worked hard at. The complete entire website, all pages, will be indexed and fully searchable by Google.

The only thing that prevents that from happening is if you password protect the website. Those settings are on the online account settings page. If a person didn't password the website and then later does, it may have been indexed by Google during that time period. It would show in the Google results, but if a person clicks on it they would have to login to the website to view it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 BobDonLI

BobDonLI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I have no idea.  Before that could possibly ever happen we would have to support websites larger than 100 MB. My personal website is almost that limit, forget adding two. As a company we are paying for this hosting and don't charge our users anything. It would seem to be an advantage for RootsMagic to allow users the ability to host their own larger websites as they wish. I just don't know what future plans are so my opinion is pure speculation. 

Well charging for larger websites would be an option.  But you are right, this is all pure speculation at the moment.  Thank you.

#10 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

Yes, this is something that development worked hard at. The complete entire website, all pages, will be indexed and fully searchable by Google.

The only thing that prevents that from happening is if you password protect the website. Those settings are on the online account settings page. If a person didn't password the website and then later does, it may have been indexed by Google during that time period. It would show in the Google results, but if a person clicks on it they would have to login to the website to view it.

That is wonderful!  A huge thanks to all at RM who worked to make that happen.  It'll make my website generating much easier. :)  I self host my site, I'm assuming that it will still work ok that way?

#11 BobDonLI

BobDonLI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

I self host my site, I'm assuming that it will still work ok that way?

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

That is wonderful!  A huge thanks to all at RM who worked to make that happen.  It'll make my website generating much easier. :)  I self host my site, I'm assuming that it will still work ok that way?

The indexed sites are only the new version websites found at Internet>MyRootsMagic (Publish Online) that RootsMagic only hosts. The size limit is 100 MB. It won't generate files for you to upload to your own website.

If you want to generate files for your own website then the options are: 

RootsMagic 6 style - using XML and Javascript

Pre-RootsMagic 6 style - creating a static HTML website

Both are found under Internet>Generate files for a website. Those RM6 version Publish Online websites have not changed and will not be indexed by Google.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

The indexed sites are only the new version websites found at Internet>MyRootsMagic (Publish Online) that RootsMagic only hosts. The size limit is 100 MB. It won't generate files for you to upload to your own website.

If you want to generate files for your own website then the options are: 

RootsMagic 6 style - using XML and Javascript

Pre-RootsMagic 6 style - creating a static HTML website

Both are found under Internet>Generate files for a website. Those RM6 version Publish Online websites have not changed and will not be indexed by Google.

Aww well that doesn't work for me as my site is to large and I prefer to self host. :(  I haven't upgraded to RM7 yet so a few questions.

In RM6 the Publish Online feature would generate the files locally then you had the option to upload to RM servers or not.  I would choose not, then FTP my files to my own host.  Does the PO in RM7 still work this way?  If not does RM7 give you the options to produce the RM6 style files or will I have to keep using RM6 to make my website?

Sorry, just a little confused...

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

Kim, RM7 has two menu items under Internet:

• My RootsMagic (Publish online...)
  • Generate Files for a Website

The second one opens this dialog:

Website_File_Type.png It appears that RootsMagic 6's Publish Online is now RootsMagic 6 style Website Files.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Kim, RM7 has two menu items under Internet:

• My RootsMagic (Publish online...)
  • Generate Files for a Website

The second one opens this dialog:

It appears that RootsMagic 6's Publish Online is now RootsMagic 6 style Website Files.

Thanks Tom!  I'm glad to see they are still there.  Although this change won't help with my website as I thought it would. :(

#16 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

It's great that the Roots Magic Publsh Online databases that are not password protected will now be fully searchable by Google.  It would be nice if in a future update these files could also be uploaded to your own website or you offered the option to purchase additional space on the Roots Magic website.  It's important that research notes also be included with sources since this is where a lot of valuable information can be found.  I hope this is included in one of the future updates to Roots Magic 7. 

#17 Kubird

Kubird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

I specifically purchased RM 7 for the online publishing enhancements, namely password protection and multiple tree capability, but I'm unable to puvlish anything with the new version.  my .rmgc file is about 4,4 MB and contains only 806 individuals,  The site generated by RM 6 is under 16 MB.  When attempting to create the identical site using RM 7, it takes a long time collecting file, and fails in the "preparing files to pulbish" phase," reporting "This site is too large to publish".  It suggests not including images or primary photos only, which I tried both ways, with the same result.  I even tried de-selecting everything (notes, sources, GEDCOM) and it still said it was too large.

I have no idea why RM 7 cant handle the same file RM 6 handled with no problem.  This is clearly unacceptable.  Obviously, a major change to such an important function should have been rigorously tested.  Is there something I'm missing here?

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

This issue will be fixed in the next update. What happened is all the media was being gathered even when it was selected not to include them. This was making some website to large to upload when in fact they should not have been.

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Kubird

Kubird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Renee, thanks for the quick response.  However, I do not think the simple fix of not including media that is not specified for inclusion will be sufficient.  

Please consider (maybe as an option) automatically reducing the size/resolution of large images, similar to the manner RM 6 does?  My image source files are well over 100 MB, but the site RM 6 creates is under 16 MB, including all images.  The reduced resolution is more than acceptable for display purposes, especially if the alternative is few or no images at all!  It would be a real step backwards to severely restrict the number of images because RM 7 uploads the full size originals, rather than reasonably sized copies.  Likewise, forcing the user to manually reduce the size of all the images beforehand in order to stay within space restrictions would be an extremely tedious and burdensome step that is not necessary in RM 6.

#20 karond

karond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

I tried to publish my tree online today and twice it said invalid tree?  Why did it do that and what do i do to get it to publish online?

thank you for any help any one can give me.

Karond