• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dave33

Dave33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

I just received an email that states "If you are a current paid user ... you can upgrade for just $19.95".

Further down the email it states that I can buy the complete RM7 for $19.95 ("special holiday offer").

Something not right here.

What about a special holiday upgrade offer ?????

#2 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Not sure of the confusion? Buying the complete RM7 for $19.95 -IS- an upgrade ...from version 6 to version 7

I believe the timing of a new software version release and the price has been standard for many, many years. Sometimes Bruce will package a book with the $20 upgrade for an additional $10 (instead of the book's $15 price) I think. Will have to see.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6033 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

The $19.95 Holiday offer is for "gifts". If this is your first time, consider it a "gift". If you purchased RM6 after a certain date, your upgrade is free. Otherwise, there is no "gift" for licensees of versions prior to 7. The book is $10 with your new or upgrade order.

Oddly enough, I went back to find the Holiday offer and cannot now find it; but I saw it somewhere today. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8175 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

There is a special link for the Holiday offer. It was in the RootsMagic Newsletter that went out today. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Dave33

Dave33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

To TomH - where can I see info on free upgrade from RM6 to RM7 ?

I still find it strange that the website says "you may also upgrade to latest version at the discounted price of only $19.95" when they are selling RM7 for new customers at the same price ( http://www.rootsmagi...ic/Special.aspx )

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6033 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

Both upgrading and new customers are getting a discount from the list price. For upgraders, it is a permanent discount. For new customers, it is a Holiday special after which the list price applies. What's strange?

Re the free upgrade to recent purchasers, RM has done it in the past. Maybe this time, too; maybe not. For somebody who purchased RM6 on Nov 24, I'm sure they would grant a free upgrade. How far back would that go? Ask them...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

The upgrade price for previous users to upgrade to the new version for the normal price of $19.95.

The other $19.95 is a Christmas special. When the Christmas special ends, the price will revert to the full price for new users.

I upgraded from RM 6 to RM 7 for the upgrade price of $19.95.

If I wished to buy somwone else RM 7 as a present, I could purchase RM 7 for them using the Christmas special of $19.95.

The Christmas special which RM has had for several years is just at the same time as the release of RM 7 thiis year.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6033 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

The free upgrade for recent customers for RM6 appears to be from 90 days before the release of RM7 according to this post from Renee.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8175 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

24 Aug 2014 is the official cut-off date on the 90 day upgrade protection guarantee. If you purchased RootsMagic 6 and registered it with us after that date, then you are entitled to a free RM7 license key. You will receive the program via download only. Emails have been sent already to those that qualified. If you did not receive yours and believe you do qualify then contact our Sale Dept.

Phone: 800-766-8762 or 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)
Email: sales@rootsmagic.com

MacBridge for RootsMagic 6 users all qualify for the free upgrade to MacBridge for RootsMagic 7, which only contains RootsMagic Essentials. To unlock the full features you do need a RM7 key. If just depends on when you purchased the RM6 if you get that free or not. 

Renee
RootsMagic