• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 leeds3

leeds3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:11 AM

I already subscribe to myheritage.com.  RootsMagic 7 finds a Smart Match for every entry in my own tree on My Heritage, thus putting a lightbulb on every single name in RootsMagic.  This makes the lightbulb useless.  Is there a way to avoid matching to my own tree? 

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

I would also like to know this. I don't think it is possible however.

"Information sent by RootsMagic to MyHeritage for matching is never collected or shared, and is deleted after matching to ensure the complete privacy of RootsMagic users and their data."

I read that to mean that RootsMagic is doing is a dumb search of MyHeritage and returning the results. I wish there was a way to ignore all trees and only see historical records. 

#3 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

I should like to know how to remove a lightbulb from beside each person once I have checked out the result, please. Can anyone help?

#4 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Do Tools > File Options > WebHints and you can turn off Smart Matches vs Record Matches for MyHeritage, as well as changing the "confidence" which would return more or less hints.
RootsMagician

#5 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

To remove all hints from MyHeritage except Records try File Options>Webhints and uncheck the box Smart Matches (trees)

Roger

#6 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

To remove the lightbulb when using myheritage click the match on myheritage and the next time it won't show yellow but will be white if there are no matches.

If you have both FSFT and myheritages matches you will need to look at both to turn the bulb white.

Roger

#7 ennoborg

ennoborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

That would be nice if My Heritage weren't lying about Record Matches. I just ran a test, and found that my own contributions on Geni are presented as Record Matches, whereas similar contributions on wikitree are shown as Smart Matches, which is what they all are.

Another problem that I have with My Heritage is that they charge for records that are free on FamilySearch, which applies to the vast majority of records for the European continent. I had a free trial membership a few weeks ago, and found that all European records that I found then were records from FamilySearch, which are easy to recognize by collection name, batch numbers, etc.

Because of all this, the value of My Heritage WebHints is less than zero. They give me a bad taste, and I'm seriously considering to remove my data from all sites that link with My Heritage.

#8 StuartM

StuartM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

Having followed the lightbulb a few times to myheritage it did provide some useful insights that gave me enough clues to find the record at sites that I do subscribe to.

What I did find annoying was that, unless I've missed something, it seems that the only way to reject suggestions is by subscribing to myheritage, clicking on the reject button just takes me to the sign up page.

#9 lmsalgado

lmsalgado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

I believe that the new MyHeritage icon may be very helpful to everyone... except to those who already are MyHeritage members. The way it is implemented, it may be just a shoot on the foot for booth RootsMagic and MyHeritage: it gives me too many matches with my own tree so it's not helpful anymore, it's just an annoying icon in each person of the tree. I will end up just turning it off (me and hundreds more users)

I would give two suggestions to RootsMagic:

1. The easiest way: give us a way to turn off false positives. This may require a lot of clicks in the beginning but then each new lighted bulb would be a real new find. Also, with this ability we could mark false matches even if they are not in our MyHeritage tree.
  2. Provide a way to identify our own trees in MyHeritage, and exclude them from the smart-matches

By the way: I'm a non-paying member in MyHeritage, I just uploaded gedcom files with my partial trees. From time to time My Heritage sends me an email with possible matches and twice it has proven to be very helpful (I'm mean: provided me with more than a hundred documented new ancestors).

So why do we even need this feature in RootsMagic? Well, because any help is never too much. But the way it works now is not a real help, just annoying, so I hope Roots magic accepts my suggestions  :)  Until then, the feature will be turned off.

Luis

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

You can turn off Smart Matches to eliminate WebHints for MyHeritage trees but leave Record Matches enabled for hints from their records databases. But I guess the issue is that you cannot confirm or reject a match without a Data subscription ($9.95/mo payable annually). That is what I have and do; once all pending matches are confirmed or rejected the light bulb goes clear, showing that there have been matches that you acted on.

I wonder how MyHeritage WebHints in RootsMagic came about - does RootsMagic receive or has it received revenue from MyHeritage for providing this marketing channel for them? If it does, I don't think we will see any effort on RM's part to let you confirm or reject matches without a subscription.   

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 lmsalgado

lmsalgado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

This comment comes a little late, but It would be unfair to leave this complains open. So, to the new users searching this forum: since January’s update, Rootsmagic has the possibility to input the email you use in MyHeritage, so that this feature doesn’t match your own records.

I’m glad to see such a fast answer from RootsMagic team. Thank you.

#12 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

I don't subscribe to My Heritage but occasionally a hint will lead me to a record on another site such as Ancestry or Family Search that I missed.  I find it useful in that respect.  I have looked at their site but don't feel it would be worthwhile for me to subscribe to it.  Most of their hints involve matches to trees on their site rather than actual records.  Ancestry is still the best value for the money in my opinion.