6 replies to this topic

#1 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:33 AM

I love the new features of RM7 and have been playing with it all morning. Thanks to all who worked on the program.

The question I have is this: Is there a automatic way to transfer data from the hints to RM7 or do I still need to do this manually?

Roger

#2 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

For MyHeritage you will need to do it manually.Hopefully MyHeritiage takes advantage of this system to allow you to create a tree from your hint climbing if you opt to (As you may not want too)

For FamilySearch you can sortof do it but not really. If you attach the sources to the FamilySearch FamilyTree in your FamilySearch account you can then use the FamilySearch sync tool to transfer the sources and whatever event data FamilySearch Family Tree has for your ancestor. Note that this information that you will be transferring using FamilySearch Family Tree may not be accurate and does not necessarily reflect what the source says. 

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

"Kyle Law said:
Note that this information that you will be transferring using FamilySearch Family Tree may not be accurate and does not necessarily reflect what the source says."

Be careful !!!

Some folks who contribute to FSFT (or any other collaborative database) may make mistakes. Some researchers may even suggest that unscrupulous users have intentionally entered unverified data as though it HAD been verified.

Asking RM to automatically transfer all potential info from a collaborative source like FSFT into your RM database could introduce info that you may actually considere unfounded, unverifiable, or even false.

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

Isn'tth

"Kyle Law said:
Note that this information that you will be transferring using FamilySearch Family Tree may not be accurate and does not necessarily reflect what the source says."

Be careful !!!

Some folks who contribute to FSFT (or any other collaborative database) may make mistakes. Some researchers may even suggest that unscrupulous users have intentionally entered unverified data as though it HAD been verified.

Asking RM to automatically transfer all potential info from a collaborative source like FSFT into your RM database could introduce info that you may actually considere unfounded, unverifiable, or even false.

Isn't that the same thing Kyle Law said?

#5 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:01 PM

I think the same thing can be said of transferring information from any website to your data. whether it be FSFT, Ancestry, MyHeritage or what ever.

But if you are bringing data over from documents which FSFT, Ancestry or MyHeritage have it would be better than typing. Typing them adds another step that may add error.

Roger

#6 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

I think the same thing can be said of transferring information from any website to your data. whether it be FSFT, Ancestry, MyHeritage or what ever.

But if you are bringing data over from documents which FSFT, Ancestry or MyHeritage have it would be better than typing. Typing them adds another step that may add error.

Roger

I agree it would be nice if we did not have to type out the data. It is likely not possible in many cases however as the API that the system does not send this information. When possible it would be nice and I suspect that it will be possible in the future. 

The problem with not typing in the information however that the way the information is presented to you is not always correct according to standards. So usually I type I find myself typing in some of the information anyways. 

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8241 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

Confirming our goal is to one day be able to transfer data directly into RootsMagic from these Webhints. First the companies we are working with need to provide this capability in their APIs. This is just the beginning of some amazing technology on the horizon.

Renee
RootsMagic