5 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

I am trying to create a group that will show all people using Sources that contain any comment, either in the Master Text field or the Detail Text field. This is what I'm doing, but I'm not getting the results I want:

1. Create a new group
  2. In Select People screen I click Mark People/Select people by data fields
  3. In the next window I choose:
  4. Source (general) --- comment is not blank  OR
  5. Source (general) --- research note is not blank   OR
  6. Source (general) --- detail comment is not blank
  7. I click OK and it returns with a group of people. But this list only seems to include people using sources that have a Master Text which shows in the citation manager window as Source text/comments. No one on the list has source entries that include Detail text (Research notes/comments in Citation Manager window) as I would expect. 

The Detail Text field is what I've been using to document, for instance, other members in a household for the census. I would like to keep track of these kinds of entries.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3609 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

I'm not sure that you are doing something wrong. There may be a bug in RM.

This is an area of RM where it is very inconsistent in what it calls things in different screens. I can report that if you want to be totally inclusive of what you are looking for, you need to test four fields and you are only testing three. Try testing for the following: Source (general) text is not blank OR Source (general) comment is not blank OR Source (general) research note is not blank OR Source (general) detail comments is not blank.

I'm by no means sure this will fix your problem, but at least you will be testing all four fields.

Jerry

#3 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

Jerry

I did what you suggested, using all four of the fields. It did return more names, but many are still missing. The ones I know for sure that are missing are census entries .... and that's a lot. I had converted a lot (but not all) of my census entries to show household info in the Source Detail text (research notes) rather than have that info in each Note field for the census. Nothing I have put into that Detail Text field in the Edit Source window (that shows in the Research Notes field) appears in my group. These sources are mostly Free Form, having come over from Legacy. Could that have something to do with it?

Hmmm.....I just ran another test..... This time I created a new source from one of the templates (not free form) and added it to an individual who does NOT appear in this group I created. I re-marked the group and that person still does not appear in it. So, it would appear that the problem is that anything in that particular field is not able to be marked for inclusion in a group. That's not good.

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

Source (General) = searches the General source which is linked to the person.

Source (Family) = searches the Family source which is linked to the couple.

[Fact name], source = searches one fact.

Any fact, source = searches all facts for the source.

If I was searching for all Census, Source details with entries in the Detail Text, Research note or Comment, I would use this criteria:
Census, source, research note is not blank
OR, Census, source, Detail comment, is not blank

Using "text xxxxxxx" or "comment xxxxxxx" returns results for the Master source Text and Comment entries.

Research notes and "Details xxxxxxx" returns results for the Source detail, Detail text entries.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

Source (general) are only going to look for those sources attached in the general section which are in the row by the primary name of the person. If you want to search on the fact level then use this filter

Any fact - source - research note is not blank.

You could also search on census - source - research note is not blank, but the "Any Fact" setting will look at every fact.

Ummm, what Laura said.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thank you, Laura and Rene!! That did the trick. Appreciate your help.

Kathy