3 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

If People View has a column for a fact type that has been deleted, the next time you customize that view and OK exit from it, RootsMagic will appear to stall and, after a wait, throw an error message indicating that an index is out of bounds. Ideally, deleting a fact type should also strip any of its columns out of the People View.

As a workaround to clear this problem, open "Customize this view" and select and Remove the blank row(s) at the bottom of the panel "Columns to display". Don't worry about the blank rows now appearing at the top of the Available Columns panel. OK the customization and the error should be cleared.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

I certainly agree that deleting a fact type should also strip away any of its columns out of People View. In addition, there are probably a couple of other management issues for PeopleView that could be improved.

One that I've thought about for a long time (and I think I've submitted as a wish list item) is that it would be helpful if you could save People View setups - which columns are displayed and in which order - sort of like having a library of the setups and picking the one you want without having to redo everything. But to tell you the truth, my thinking has evolved a bit in this regard. I seldom want more columns in People View than will fit on the screen anyway because People View loses a lot of its value if you have to scroll to the right. It's really easy to add two or three columns to People View without actually saving the setups. And my experience with Named Groups and saved Custom Reports is that very quickly I have so many items saved that I can't remember what any of them do anymore, and it's easier to make a new one than it is to find the one I saved. So in the last year or two, I find myself just deleting all my Named Groups and all my Custom Reports and starting over again. Strange I know, and probably not very satisfactory to most of you all. But I'm sure that if a new facility were introduced to have a library of People View setups, I probably wouldn't use it.

On the other hand (and sort of related to Tom's observations about what happens when People View includes a column for a deleted fact type), it would really be handy for a single button and single click just to clear People View so I can easily start all over. Indeed, I really wouldn't even want it to ask me any silly questions about whether I really wanted to clear People View. I would just want it to clear People View with one click. I'm sure most users wouldn't like that feature, either, but I think it would be great. So in the interest of reducing clickiness and also still protecting the user from themselves, what if the "clear People View" button existed and what if if had an Undo option associated with it?

Jerry

#3 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I think I should add that my thoughts about just deleting all my Named Groups periodically and starting all over do not any any way mean that I don't support some form of Dynamic Groups. Indeed, my view is that  the issue has never been about Dynamic Groups, per se. Rather, the issue has always been about saving the search criteria (or the marking/unmarking criteria, or what ever is used to select a subset of individuals in the database). If I could save some sort of "library" of search criteria or marking/unmarking criteria, I seriously doubt I would clear the "library" of search criteria periodically and start all over again.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

This issue appears to be fixed in RM7 or maybe I'm just not testing it right.

Renee
RootsMagic