Photo

FAQ: Broken multimedia links when moving to new PC?

multimedia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

This is probably a FAQ. So, maybe someone can just point me to the answer.

I'm finally moving my RM6 installation off my old XP machine to a Win7 machine.

The problem is that the directories in Win7 are organized somewhat differently than in XP and when I copy over my RM6 photos from where I had them (~/My Photos/Genealogy Scrapbook/) in the old machine to anyplace in the new machine, the links are not the same. I've got 219 multimedia links and I'd rather not have to find and change them each by hand.

Is there I convenient way to bulk edit all the multimedia links in an RM6 database or to otherwise fix this problem?

In retrospect, I suppose I should have stuck the photos in a folder within the RM6 data folders but, at the time, this seemed like the best way to handle it.

Thanks!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

Don, open the Media Gallery, click on Tools > Fix Broken Media Links. Under the label "Where do you want to search for the media?" click on the dropdown list and select "<A folder>". That will open your File Explorer so you can browse to where the files are now and select that folder. The tool will search only in this folder and its sub-folders to find the files and update the paths. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Tom. That seems to have fixed it. Since I've been using one computer for about 8 years, I have not had the need to be aware of that particular function.