8 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

For some years, we have used the term "sharee" in these forums as short hand for a person with a role other than Principal, and, by implication, the Principal is the "sharer". Have we not got that backwards? Shouldn't the Principal be the "sharee" and the others be the "sharers"?

Some parallels:

mortgagor, mortgagee

lessor, lessee

There is no dictionary definition of "sharee" (except for totally specious ones in the Urban Dictionary) while those for "sharer" sound appropriate, e.g.: 

one who takes part in something <all pilots are sharers of the same air space>

In that sense, the Principal might also be a "sharer" but we can safely use "sharer" to mean all other sharers of a shared event because there is a Principal even if the event is not shared. There are no "sharers" until it is shared.

So let's expunge "sharee" from our lexicon for shared events and use "sharer" henceforth!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:55 AM

Principal(s) & witness(es), regardless of how much sense it does (or does not) make.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

Principal(s) & witness(es), regardless of how much sense it does (or does not) make.

Agreed. After all, it's not the person who is getting shared. It's the fact (or event, if you prefer). So neither sharer nor sharee in either direction really makes sense since sharer and sharee would both refer ro a person.

Jerry

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

I don't care what word(s) we use in place of Sharee although Sharee is fine with me.

But, I am a little concerned about confusion for new users reading old and new posts if the terminology changes.

I do think we should continue to use Principal for the Principal.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

I doubt the RootsMagician would change it now that we have established using it the way it is now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

On the user mailing list of another software package that features shared events - the "principal" is referred to as sharer and the witnesses are referred to as sharees - thus, obviously not a term particular to Rootsmagic.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

Nowhere in the RootsMagic 6 Help system can be found the non-word "sharee". So RootsMagic did not introduce the term.

Google searches on terms involving combinations of "event", "fact", "role", "principal" with "sharee" invariably turn up, at or near the top of the results list, hits from the RootsMagic Forums or from the RootsMagic-Users List archive or from SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic, not from genealogy software features, descriptions, documentation pages. There is one hit from a Legacy page but it is a user comment. So we are the worst offenders in using this non-word.

Unfortunately, there is a patent application for sharing an online order cart which makes extensive use of the non-word "sharee" and does so in the (in my view) wrong sense. But there is no other formal usage of the word in relation to "sharing" to be found. 

There are many hits for Sharee'Ah, an alternative English spelling for Shariah, as in Shariah Law, and for both surnames and given names "Sharee".

Stopping its usage now in discussing shared events should not confuse anyone because we should be using language that is more accurate such as "sharer", "principal", "witness", "non-principal", "secondary role", ...

Stopping its usage now should not be very hard. No formal RootsMagic documents use it; don't start.

Internally, the RootsMagic database identifies the Principal of an event or fact by the field OwnerID in the EventTable; other sharers in the event are identified in the WitnessTable by the field PersonID. Awkwardly, "Witness" itself is a common role name amongst all the role names for all fact types. Nonetheless, no "sharee" there and a justification that all non-principals are "witnesses".  

As an advocate for clarity and disambiguation in writing, I see no alternative but to argue for the elimination of the non-word "sharee" from the lexicon related to "shared events". Please, let's clean up our act. 

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:43 AM

Methinks thou dost protest too much ;O)

*SNIP* ...non-word[1] "sharee". So RootsMagic did not introduce the term...

*SNIP* ...So we are the worst offenders in using this non-word[1]...

*SNIP* ...patent application for sharing an online order cart which makes extensive use of the non-word[1] "sharee" and does so in the (in my view) wrong sense...

*SNIP* ...elimination of the non-word[1] "sharee" from the lexicon related to "shared events". Please, let's clean up our act...

[1] http://goo.gl/7my1ft

But there is no other formal usage of the word in relation to "sharing" to be found.[2]

[2] http://goo.gl/qjJgK9

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Sharee or not sharee? That is the question...

Thanks for the search terms - I learned something from you again, Kevin.