• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Mullenix

Bruce Mullenix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

I may have missed this but I need to know how RootsMagic as a software handles married couples without children? It has been hard for some of my aunts and uncles without children to see their family group sheet with a blank child printed on it. Is there a way to put "Without Issue" and have it print. Thank you.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

Creatre a new Family user defined fact, Children {Couple) with the description enabled.

Link it in the Edit person screen of one of the spouses and enter "had no children" [without qoutes] in the description.  Sort after the marriage fact.  Other entries pertaining to couple's children could also be entered in the descriprion as wanted.

Or, add a statement to the Marriage fact note that they had no children.  Or, add that statement to both the General notes for each spouse.

Or, enable the Description for the marriage fact and enter "had no children" [without quotes] in the Description for that fact.

Or, create a dummy person, No Issue, and link that person to the couple as a child.  Children can have multiple linked parents.

Create a new Play database and drag and drop some people into it and experiment.

#3 Bruce Mullenix

Bruce Mullenix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Thank you so much Laura

Bruce

#4 MFraser

MFraser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

I read this a little differently than Laura did.. I think that Bruce is asking if there is a way to suppress the printing of the blank "child" sections on a family group sheet, since it can cause some emotional distress to some childless couples, so that a family group sheet for a childless couple would show the couple only.

Am I understanding you correctly, Bruce?

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

If a couple doesn't have children only the Children label is printed on the FGS. It doesn't print any child sections.

There is also the choice of printing a Individual Summary for each of the spouses or print a Narrative report instead of a FGS if the couple is sensitive about not having children and having the Children label on the FGS.