5 replies to this topic

#1 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

I get this message often. Going to Task Manager for Roots Magic 6, the RM icon is White instead of the Green Tree. I then remove RM and start over.

I have learned over the years when I edit 10 people or so, to get back to RM6, and do a backup. If I don't I just lose all the work I did up to that point when RM6 freezes on me.

The Kid

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

I'm not having this problem at all. Since you mention Task Manager, I'll assume you are using some version of Windows.

The first suggestion that pops to mind is to check where your database *.rmgc file is stored. Some users make the mistake of putting their database inside the C:\Program Files folder. That no longer works in Win7 and above. Relocate all of your database files to somewhere permitted by Windows - some users prefer a subfolder under MyDocuments; other users prefer a subfolder directly in the C: drive root folder; and, still other users prefer to use a subfolder on a separate hard drive (this is my preference).

My next thought is that you may be using a virtual drive or a cloud drive. If these are unavailable to RM, it could cause RM to lock up and stop responding.

If none of these fit your case, then please provide more detail about the problem: what exactly are you doing when the lock up occurs?

[edited 5:50 pm]

Whoops!! TomH is correct - I initially referred to *.rmgb above, and it should have read *.rmgc - FIXED !!

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5536 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

your database *.rmgb file

Good advice, except ... should read *.rmgc. rmgb is the extension for the backup file. 

What version of RM? Are you working with FamilySearch Family Tree?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

Using latest version of RM 6, Windows 7 professional.

The Kid

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

Please answer the other question on where your database file (RMGC) is being stored on your computer.

What are the exact steps you take to see this message appear?

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

Renee, 

All my files are stored in a folder called Roots 6 Data under C:\. I'll give you the exact steps later when I see the problem again,

but its always when I'm in Family Tree adding Family info from FT to my RM6 file.

The Kid.