• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

I am finding the various "notes" in RM6 quite a jumble and entering in so many different places makes for unprofessional looking reports! 

1. Note entry allowed from tool bar which seems to be labeled "General" in output

2. Fact notes which are entered with fact...but then so is a fact sentence....and even a entry area for fact in right column

3. Then there is the source note and/or research note. 

The set up for reports varies in relationship to notes. Or selection is nil! 

I source every fact and entry and enter fact details as found in that source. My objective is to then run a report chronologically presenting the facts with the narrative notes entered. So it would seem best to NOT enter general notes (toolbar). And NOT enter notes in the right column note area either. Am I missing something? 

Further the format RM6 for listing facts with notes is a squeezed together affair - is there a way to make this presentation more attractive text? 

Thanks!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6417 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

There was a very relevant message posted by John Nunnally to the RootsMagicUsers-List a couple of days ago which I quote below:

With regard to the appearance of notes in reports -- After I sent this
message, I decided it would be fairly easy to create a five person database
and enter information into note fields.  I entered things like "This is
citation detail" and "This is an individual note" so I could be sure I could
properly identify what was showing up where.  Here is the result of my
experiment.  I didn't experiment with notes for places, webtags, tasks, or
research logs.

For the most part this simply confirms what you said in your messages but
perhaps there are a few helpful observations.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Narrative report -- This appears to be true of all variations of the
Narrative report:
-- You apparently can tag quite a bit of text on the end of a customized
sentence for an fact.
-- The note field is appended to the end of the fact sentence, but the
footnote reference appears at the end of the sentence, between the sentence
and the note.
-- The individual note for the person is appended to the end of the
narrative that is generated by all of the fact sentences.
-- The note field for a witness ("sharee") is appended at the end of the
sentence for the role, but the footnote reference appears at the end of the
sentence itself.
-- Citation detail appears in the text of the end notes.
-- An option allows you to include the text of detail research notes in the
end notes.
-- An option allows you to include the text of detail text comments in the
end notes.

Family Group Sheets
-- The notes for the facts are grouped on a notes page listed by fact.  But
in this case the sentences are not  generated anywhere in the report.  So
the note needs to make sense outside the context of the sentence associated
with fact.
-- Citation detail appears in the text of the end notes.

Individual Summary
-- Notes are collected at the end in a notes section.  The sentences do not
appear.
-- It appears custom sentences for individual facts are generated in the
fact list.  If there is not a custom sentence, it just shows place details
and place.

Ahnentafel
-- Sentences are not generated.  Notes are not included.

Individual List
-- Sentences are generated if they are custom.  Otherwise, just date, place
details, and place.
-- Notes are not included.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

John N.

You can see the original message in context here.

There is some control of automatic paragraphing in report settings for narrative reports. Additionally or alternatively, you may enter extra LF/CR controls in default or local sentence templates and at the beginning of Notes. And you may find the paragraphing utilities in RMtrix to be of some help.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

My take: 

-appears from the report from Mr. Nunnally, that there is a great deal of inconsistency in how notes appear...or not...in the Report formats. To my thinking notes and their sourcing are the essence of our family research and SHOULD be consistently shown in any report. 

- notes are critical as a reference to what we have found and where so it seems needlessly complicating for the researcher to have to go to several different sections to decipher or refresh one's memory on a finding, which is Fact>source>detail of finding in source>then a research note as to how this fact/source proves or disproves the fact. 

- Overall, I think RM is a fine program (I've tried many over the years), but any such program can be improved. I have printed out several different reports and see that "fact notes" are footnoted, whereas "general Notes" are not. As genealogy is/should be based on sound research, sourced and examined and compared, the database program should be designed to and promote that facet and with a record keeping system to match. 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6417 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Notes for different things serve different purposes. You are on a learning curve in using a program that is different from that to which you are accustomed and you will most certainly have some adaptations to make. That said, many users share the opinion that the ordering of Personal and Family events should follow natural life order unless overridden by Sort Date.

If you are asking that Citation Research Note and Comments should appear in the body of the narrative report, not as footnotes or endnotes, other users are liable to disagree. But it is not all that clear what you want. Maybe restating it another way will help me and others understand.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

TomH, you make assumptions as to my experience level in using databases, including RM, and research technique knowledge. Thanks anyway. 

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6417 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

I made no assumptions and intended no offence, Bonnie3033. Since I do not understand your problem, I asked you to restate it. Others produce excellent output from RootsMagic by understanding how it works and using it accordingly. Maybe you can, too, without requiring that the program be changed. If you can specify your desired outputs, experienced RootsMagic users may be able to give you constructive suggestions on how to do so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Notes, reports