7 replies to this topic

#1 RDOwens

RDOwens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

Newbie here.

I am trying to get a handle on sources, proof, etc. 

I added myself.  I added my engagement to my wife.  I then added a note about the evening explaining the details of the proposal.

What would I record as the source?  What wording would I use?

How do I address the proof?  

I assume this is considered primary, yes?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

I would use Personal knowledge for the Master source template if I used Source templates.  Since I use Free form for Master sources, I would use the Personal knowledge template as a guide.

Enter your name in the Master source template and your address if desired.

Enter the name of the Master source in a way you can find it again, possibly Surname, Given name.  My source name for myself is Researcher, Surname, Given name.  This sorts my source with other researchers' names that I have as Master sources.

Link the Master source to the fact on the Edit person screen.  Enter the details for the source details.  Perhaps, Engagement of Name and Name on Date and Place.   Enter the story in the Detail text, Research note.

Quality = Original, Primary, Direct

It would be primary because you have first hand knowledge of the event.

#3 RDOwens

RDOwens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thank you.  This was helpful.  

I am finding that I do not have a firm handle on how to put in sources.  Playing around with my birth registration certificate, I don't seem to be able to attach the scan of the document to the source.  How do I get a checkmark on the edit person screen for the birth event?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

Only by tagging the media item to the birth event. The Media checkmark only indicates direct tags, not media tags to other things that are related such as citations, sources, places.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 RDOwens

RDOwens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Perfect.  Can an image on the 'Net be similarly linked to an event?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Can an image on the 'Net be similarly linked to an event?

Only by downloading the image file and adding it to the Media Gallery as for other image files. I think the database structure is already designed to support your question but the application does not yet support it. 

URLs to web pages and images can be tagged to Persons, Sources, Citations, Places and Research Log Items as WebTags but they serve no purpose in reports or other outputs.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:01 AM

I have thousands of images linked to my database. For years I only linked/tagged the images to a single individual or event/fact.

For example, a census citation could be used to document an Alternate Name, a Census, a Residence, an Occupation, an Immigration, etc. - and I would only link/tag the image to the Census fact. But I gradually began to believe that the image should be linked/tagged to the Source Citation rather than the event. But then I lost the easy visibility of the media checkmark on the Edit Person screen.

The solution is to link/tag the image to BOTH the Source Citation and to the primary event/fact that the image documents. I wouldn't say that I'm perfectly consistent in my use of image links/tags, but rather that my habits are evolving.

#8 RDOwens

RDOwens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

I appreciate the help.  This small area of sourcing is making sense.  I am still struggling with the macro approach to how I should handle sources going forward.  I am certain I will have more questions. ;)