• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Soos

Soos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

Can anyone advise me if there is a way of listing all sources which dont have a citation?

I have recently been 'tidying up' my sources and I want to find all those which no longer have a citation attached so I can delete them.

The only way I have found so far is to 'print' the source list just showing the source number and any citation refererence (from the Source List option) which also lists the ones without citations.  However it is then very time consuming to scroll through all the pages (as I have a vast number of sources) looking for any without a citation reference listed.  Is there any way of 'filtering' this output?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

I may be proven wrong, but I do not believe there is a way to produce the report you desire within RM itself. But inspired by your question, I wrote a little SQLite script that produces such a report. Normally, I would post such scripts at Tom's SQLite wiki.But this one is really simple and really short. If you are able to download an SQLite manager such as SQLiteSpy, the script should produce the results you want. It actually lists the number of citations for each of your Master Sources, not just the unused ones. But it sorts by the number of citations, so the Master Sources with zero citations are at the beginning of the list.

Jerry

SELECT S.SourceID, S.Name, COUNT(C.CitationID) AS CitationCount
FROM SourceTable AS S
        LEFT JOIN
     CitationTable AS C On S.SourceID = C.SourceID
GROUP BY S.SourceID     
ORDER BY CitationCount;   

#3 Soos

Soos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thanks very much Jerry.  I'll give that a try.  Maybe Roots Magic can think about it as a possible enhancement.

Sue.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

You can create a group of people with facts without sources. You just can't print a report of the exact facts missing the source. That is because reports focus on people and their facts, but not just on the facts themselves. That is an enhancement request in our tracking system. At least with creating a group you can work on the individuals directly within RootsMagic.

For the Filter use

Any Fact - Source - does not exist

Other places a source could be but you may not want to include are:

Source (general) or Source (family) - does not exist

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3221 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think the original request was not so much for facts without sources as it was for sources without facts.  :)  (Well, it's really "sources without citations" because not every citation has to go with a fact.)

As Soos pointed out in his original message, you can find sources without citations by doing Lists->Source List->Print and scanning the results. With a large number of sources, this is a theoretical solution, not a practical one. However, upon further reflection I wonder if you might be able to use a powerful text editor that supports regular expressions to find the sources without citations. You would save the report as a text file, edit the file, and do a search or find or whatever the editor calls the command to find things. If you did a bare minimum printout, you would be looking for the word "Footnote" with some intervening text and a second occurrence of the word "Footnote", and where the intervening text did not include the word "Citation". Regular expressions for a given powerful editor might or might not be able to conduct such a search.

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Your right Jerry, that is what they were asking. I have checked and that enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 JerseyIrish

JerseyIrish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

I may be proven wrong, but I do not believe there is a way to produce the report you desire within RM itself. But inspired by your question, I wrote a little SQLite script that produces such a report. Normally, I would post such scripts at Tom's SQLite wiki.But this one is really simple and really short. If you are able to download an SQLite manager such as SQLiteSpy, the script should produce the results you want. It actually lists the number of citations for each of your Master Sources, not just the unused ones. But it sorts by the number of citations, so the Master Sources with zero citations are at the beginning of the list.

Jerry

SELECT S.SourceID, S.Name, COUNT(C.CitationID) AS CitationCount
FROM SourceTable AS S
        LEFT JOIN
     CitationTable AS C On S.SourceID = C.SourceID
GROUP BY S.SourceID     
ORDER BY CitationCount;   

Thank you Jerry, it's works very well. I now have a list of sources that have no citations and I am able to take further action on them.

#8 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Renee,

I am confused how I generate a list of all the people without source citations. I would appreciate detailed (step-by-step) directions.

Thanks,

John

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5997 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

That's a different question than the subject of this thread and maybe one that needs more precision. Are you looking for persons lacking a "general" source, i.e., no checkmark in the checkbox beside their name in the source column of Edit Person? Or are you looking for persons for whom there is no source for any fact, general or family? The former is readily answered by using the RootsMagic Explorer Find with the criterion:

Source (general) > does not exist

The latter is more problematic because Find has no criterion such as "All facts". You can come fairly close with the following:

Source (general) > does not exist

AND Source (family) > does not exist

AND Birth > Source > does not exist

AND Marriage > Source > does not exist

AND Death > Source > does not exist

The filter has room for one more criterion so you could add one more fact type that you feel should have a source. These criteria will not eliminate a person having only sources for other facts but should get you a useful list of people you need to document.

To make a printable list of these people, you can run the report Lists > Individual List using the option "Select from list" under the "People to include" dropdown list to open RootsMagic Explorer and set the criteria as above. Alternatively, you can create a Named Group using these criteria and select the group when you generate the report.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Tom,

Thanks for your input; this is the information that I needed (it is a time saver for me).

John