7 replies to this topic

#1 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

I would like to be able to search/filter the master source list so I can find what I want to source easier. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

For the Master Source title I usually add a label or category before the name. That way all the books, individuals, censuses, etc. will sort into these made up categories I have for them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 ketchell

ketchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

Ditto original post request. Renaming all sources to find one later is not a solution. The lack of search for just within the real title or adding a source ID search would be an immense improvement in productivity vs hashing around to find the right source.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

I think this is a very high priority feature that needs to be added to RM. I might suggest instead of searching, perhaps a filtering capability would be even better. Of course, searching and filtering are very similar and I could picture scenarios where both would be useful.

In self defense for this problem, I long ago adopted a very rigorous naming system for my master sources. Of course, that doesn't help any with the master sources that are already out there.

Also, there actually is sort of a crude way you can search for sourcing information. Namely, you can search for people who have the sourcing information you are looking for. There are several ways to enter this search, for example click the looking glass icon followed by the Find tab. Once there, set up a search for Source (General) -> Name Contains or a search for Any Fact -> Source -> Name contains. The "Name Contains" thing at this point is the name of the Master Source, not the name of the person. You can also search for Footnote contains and many other attributes of sources and citations. Of course, this only gets you to the person. You still have to poke around a great deal in the person's citations to find the exact source or citation information you are looking for. It's not great, but it can be way better than nothing.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Ditto original post request. Renaming all sources to find one later is not a solution. The lack of search for just within the real title or adding a source ID search would be an immense improvement in productivity vs hashing around to find the right source.

You can use Search>Find Everywhere to search for something contained within a source.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2963 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:33 AM

Filters on ALL Lists are very much needed, prefixing entries to get the desired result was never an acceptable solution.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

And Search > Find Everywhere is a very inefficient solution when I know which segment of the database I want to search. Find Everywhere would be dramatically improved with a set of [] check boxes to limit which segment of the database to peruse (sources, citations, repositories, fact notes, general notes, to do lists, research logs, etc., etc.).

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5554 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

And Search > Find Everywhere is a very inefficient solution when I know which segment of the database I want to search. Find Everywhere would be dramatically improved with a set of [] check boxes to limit which segment of the database to peruse (sources, citations, repositories, fact notes, general notes, to do lists, research logs, etc., etc.).

That, too, went on the Wish List soon after Find Everywhere was introduced.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.