#1 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hi all,

I have 20 unconnected trees in the one RM database and would like change the person whose name is assigned to each tree in "Count Trees" to be the top of tree person. It seems to be a good way to get an instant summary of what I have in my RM database.

The doco says that the person assigned to each tree in Count Trees is the starting person (or root person?).

The doco also says you can changed this person by highlighting another person in the same tree then right clicking on this highlighted person and selecting "set as root person".

I have tried this and it does not change anything.

I am assuming that the starting person and the root person are the same thing.

Any ideas anyone?

Wayne Thurley

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

The default start or root person is always the person with the lowest Record Number (RIN) in your entire database.  If you have many trees inside of one database it will ignore those and automatically make the root person the individual with record number 1 regardless. If that record has been deleted then it will be the person with the next record number in the entire database.  The settings in Tools>File Options are simply controlling who you select as the root person for the entire database. It is not looking at what tree within the database they are in.

Under Count Trees it will once again look for the person inside the "tree" with the lowest record number. There is no option to change who is the start person of that particular tree is. 

If you have one main tree in your database and 19 other smaller ones. You could make a "dummy" person to be a "parent" to the 19 other trees. Then add a child connecting the "start" person you want for those 19 separate trees. Whenever you wish to review all the separate trees in your database at the dummy person and their children. 

Renee
RootsMagic