8 replies to this topic

#1 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

No-one but FamilySearch currently uses it but it would be nice to have. Hopefully the original gedcom goes away sooner rather then later. 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

From the developer's blog post over a year ago:

The FamilySearch developer platform uses GEDCOM X to exchange data with the partners and affiliates of FamilySearch, so there are already a significant number of record managers and data providers that have at least partially implemented it.

I infer that RootsMagic is using something of GEDCOM X in order to exchange data with FamilySearch Family Tree. 

Meanwhile, the Family History Information Standards Organisation which emerged from the BetterGEDCOM initiative is reviewing papers submitted over the last 20 months, including one from the GEDCOM X developers. But neither seems to have much publicly reported activity.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

But that is exactly my point. There are plenty of programs that currently use Gedcom X. They just don't allow exporting. My quesiton is Why?

The main advantage of GedcomX is that is relies on existing technologies XML and JSON.

This is a significent advantage because then pepole can take GEDCOM X and existing standards XML and JSON. Then as long as a Genelogical program exported the data in a format 100% compatible with the format, then collaberation would be the way it should be. 

With many programs supporing the Gedcom X export format I can see the following things happen.

1) Online tools like Ancestry.com able to export data in a format that will work on the importing of informaiton in the way that we record informaiton today.
2) Improved collaberation. 
2) More developers writing geneological programs.
3) Better tools for managing our genelogical data.

I really want to start working with my family to do genelogical work however I need to be able to collaberate with them. All using the same program is not the answer either. 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

Maybe they only support that subset of GEDCOM X required to interact with FamilySearch. Maybe GEDCOM X does not support all of the features of their programs. Maybe they are afraid that a perfect transfer of data risks losing their customer base to some other program.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

LDS never completed or released Gedcom X as a standard for on computer genealogy programs to use to exchange data between them.

So, it isn't a choice for on computer genealogy programs to use it or not use it as a standard for data transfer between on computer programs.

http://www.tamurajon...yStandard.xhtml

#6 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

Interesting. Well the good thing is it is a open source project so if FHISO is able to fork it or even just contribute to the standard. Or they could go their own way and create their own standard. Hopefully they realize the headway that Gedcom X made on the front and either forks it or contributes to it. There are some great advantages to using existing standards to represent data instead of trying to invent a new Gedcom to represent the data. 

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

I hope FHISO does come up with a new standard that takes into account the new capibilities of computers which are now availabke to programmers whether elements from Gedcom X is part of that or not.

But, I have my doubts about ever transfering my data from one program to another and having the data transfer seamlessly and fit into whatever special features the new program has.

#8 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

At RootsTech this year, I think that FamilySearch announced adoption/promotion of GEDCOM X. Any updates? What are the newer GEDCOM X GEDCOM tags?

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Stimulated by your post, I did a search and see that the FSFT data model corresponds more or less to GEDCOM X, their API uses it and they say:
"FamilySearch only supports a subset of GEDCOM X conclusion types as well as a few FamilySearch specific types".

https://www.familyse...ee-data-objects

https://www.familyse...guides/gedcom-x