1 reply to this topic

#1 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

I am looking for a web-based editing genealogy software that I could use with my RootsMagic file that I can then easily sync between the two of them. 

Worst case scenario is that I could just create a system myself that does that but that would be long term. I wanted to make sure there were not any that currently work well. 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

There is nothing web-based that operates on a RootsMagic database file.

Could you accomplish your ends through FamilySearch Family Tree? You can edit people in FSFT, match them in RootsMagic and move data between the two. Other people may also edit those people.

Otherwise, you are stuck with GEDCOM as a transfer mechanism between RM and some web-based application or service. You can upload and download with Ancestry.com, MyHeritage.com and other subscription-based services. As for an application, have a look at the Wikipedia page Comparison of web-based genealogy software for those listed as having the "Recording" feature. Any of these will have some collaboration capability.

You have not explained your purpose but you may also want to consider remote control of RootsMagic and file sharing.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.