7 replies to this topic

#1 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

There is one person in my family tree who has about twenty media items associated with him - all .jpg files.

When I select the person and go to the media section, I see all the thumbnails for the pictures.

BUT - five of the thumbnails are blank - just a very small symbol in the centre of the thumbnail. 

If I double click on the thumbnail I see the full picture correctly.

If I click on LIST mode I see the file in the list.

One of the problem items is the default picture for that person.

If I generate any charts with that person, his photo is missing from the chart (e.g. a photo tree).

Would appreciate any suggestions as to the problem or how to resolve it.

Pop

update:

If I remove and add the media again I have the same issue.

If I look at the Lists/Media Gallery  I see the same problem - the thumbnails for the same files are blank.

I now see that of the 500 .jpg files in my media folder, about twelve of them are displaying these symptoms.

It appears that RM does not like some aspect of the .jpg file.

All other jpg viewers and editors appear to accept them.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8103 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

It sounds like you added the images with the media type File, instead of Image. With File they will not be treated as Images and create thumbnails or be used in reports. The way to tell is to open the media tag. If you don't see a options in the lower left corner to make it the primary photo or add to the scrapbook then it was added with the wrong media type.  There is no way to change the media type. You will need to delete that image and add it again using the Image media type. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5988 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Outside of the RootsMagic application, you can run this script to change the assigned Media Type to the default for the file extension. Media Type Reset. It is also included in my RMtrix utility.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

AAArrrggghhhh!!!

I have added all recent jpegs as type FILE.

How dumb can I be?  So, I have about 25 images to 'fix'.  Not too serious.

BUT - all the other images came over from PAF.  I imported the GEDCOM file and then pointed the media at the PAF jpegs folder.

(I am a recent convert from PAF to RM.)

Sounds like somehow the default in that case was 'media' and not 'file'.

Right??

Thank you Renee

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8103 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

The "default" option is always Image in RootsMagic so you must have changed it when you added those new images. 

With PAF whatever you have set there as the Media Type will transfer over to RootsMagic. So, you must have left it as Image there for it to be that Media Type in RootsMagic.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 dpleyden

dpleyden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

I recently installed RootsMagic 7 on a Mac (I'm using MacBridge)  and transferred my material from TMG.  I too have several images that aren't showing up.  If I go into Media Gallery, they are just a grey rectangle.  The link is correct, and I've tried reinstalling the photo (jpg file) from the original outside of RootsMagic and TMG.  The Media Type is clearly Images (I read all of the above and went in to check).  It's as if RootsMagic doesn't like some of my jpg files.   

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8103 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

If the thumbnail was not created then it means you added them with the Media Type: File and not Image. The Media Type needs to be set correctly so it can be treated as an image or picture.  To confirm it has the wrong Media Type you will need to open the MediaTag. Look to see if there is in the lower left corner a check box for "Primary photo for this person" or "Include in scrapbook for this person".  If neither are there then it was added with the wrong Media Type. 

There is no way to change the Media Type once it was added. You would need to delete that file out of the Media Gallery, all the MediaTags go with it. Then add the Image again with the correct Media Type. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:53 AM

I have some JPG images, loaded into the Media Gallery as Image type, that did not initially show a correct thumbnail.

case 1: In a few cases, it appears that I linked the image while it was still downloading (the filename had .partial appended to it). For these images, I corrected the thumbnail (and image display) by using the Media Gallery - [Properties] - [Change media file] button to select the completed file download, and a new thumbnail was generated and the image now displays correctly.

case 2: In some cases (small, but undetermined number) the thumbnail was showing as a dark horizontal line in the middle of the thumbnail rectangle. Some of these were corrected by selecting the [Change media file] button, then [Open] and [OK], and a new thumbnail was generated.

I don't know why the case 2 images were originally given incorrect thumbnails, but at least I have a solution that seems to work.