6 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

Due to other commitments I have not been very active on the boards or RM for that matter, hopoefully that will change in the near future.

I don't know if it has been said before but I would like to say how reassured I feel to have many new users posting with fresh eyes and perceptions rather than the old dinosaurs chewing the same fat :D

It's also nice to see some old chestnuts being highlighted again by the new folk providing fresh unbiased opinions for the Rootsmagician.

If you are a new user, convert from TMG, PAF or other program please note down any little niuggles or unexpected functionality you find and post it for discussion. I am sure Rootsmagic would welcome your opinions and that's what makes the program better for all.

Once I get my blinkers back I will re-engage with the community hopefully with something completely new to talk about. ;)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

Due to other commitments I have not been very active on the boards or RM for that matter, hopoefully that will change in the near future.

I don't know if it has been said before but I would like to say how reassured I feel to have many new users posting with fresh eyes and perceptions rather than the old dinosaurs chewing the same fat :D

It's also nice to see some old chestnuts being highlighted again by the new folk providing fresh unbiased opinions for the Rootsmagician.

If you are a new user, convert from TMG, PAF or other program please note down any little niuggles or unexpected functionality you find and post it for discussion. I am sure Rootsmagic would welcome your opinions and that's what makes the program better for all.

Once I get my blinkers back I will re-engage with the community hopefully with something completely new to talk about. ;)

Vyger as a new convert from PAF to RM this is a good post.

If you look at my recent posts you will see the trouble I got into by drag and drop and loosing all of my cemetery details that I had in place details,as I did not know if you had nothing in place you lost all of the details that you have in place details. :unsure:

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

Vyger as a new convert from PAF to RM this is a good post.

If you look at my recent posts you will see the trouble I got into by drag and drop and loosing all of my cemetery details that I had in place details,as I did not know if you had nothing in place you lost all of the details that you have in place details. :unsure:

I did read that and thankfully did not fall foul of that little problem which obviously still exists.

Current recommendations are to use a place holder where the Place is unknown, I simply use "a place unknown". However in the case of a cemetery I would use as much information as I know for the Place which might be "England", "United States" or "Wayne County" then hopefully on further research I can narrow the Place down further.

Obviously the Rootsmagician overlooked this problem of potential loss of place details and I would hope in the future entering a place detail without a place is prevented to stop other users falling into the same trap you did.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Confirming issue is noted in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Renee. This is a real problem when you do not know about it. I will have to go right through my 90,000 records now and redo them before I drag and drop again.

Hope the program change could come out first :lol:

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:26 AM

Lighthouse, as I suggested before I believe to Place Detail should exist without at least the vaguest Place holder, otherwise it lacks any real value.

If you don't like using something like "a place unknown" then use Earth :)

Root

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

Lighthouse, did you personally enter the whole place info into Place Detail leaving Place empty or is this what you got by importing your database to Rootsmagic from another software?

In the absence of the Place Detail feature, users had to enter every place level into the Place field. After the Place Detail feature was added, the feature to split a Place value between the two was also added.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.