• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

Can someone please tell me how I can disable permanently the message which pops up frequently to ask if I want to change my place entries to something else.

For example, all my US place entries as imported from TMG are like Eugene, Lane County, Oregon, and not Eugene, Lane, Oregon. I never want to change this format so I do not need to be continually reminded.

Thanks for your assistance. Always hopeful,
Elizabeth

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Go to "Tools"

Then "Program Options"

Then Uncheck the box for "County Check"

For what it is worth, I agree with your format for places.

#3 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

Although I don't (yet) have an Ancestry Member Tree, does anyone know if including "county" in the place name affects getting hints (shaky leaf) one way or another? 

Thanks,

Jeff

#4 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

Thanks a bunch. At least there is one thing in RM which has an easy fix!

Now if you could only tell me how to add in a Back button................ ;)

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

We have a video that demonstrates how to customize the toolbar. You can add the Back button there.

Customizing Your Toolbar in RootsMagic
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WrdREl3Lvns

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

Thank you, Renee, for your suggestion. I do have the Back button enabled on my toolbar, but it goes back to the last edited person and not to the last accessed person. I need somehing that takes me back to the last screen.

Good try, though.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Click on the History tab in the Sidebar to see the recent persons. Click on one of them to change the main view focus person. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

Elizabeth, enabling or disabling County Check on the Tools, Program options is not a "fix".

It is where the user can enable or disable the CountyCheck popup depending on whether or even when the user wants to use that RootsMagic feature.

There are also other choices on that screen where users can control other options and those are not there to "fix" RM either.

I leave CountyCheck turned off at Tools, Program options. If I want to use the CountyCheck database for reference, I go to Tools, CountyCheck Explorer.

I am sorry you are looking at needing to eventually change to another program. I would be upset if I needed to change from RM.

But, TMG is not the good guy and RM is not the bad guy.

#9 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Tom, the History tab is great but the history gets deleted when I turn off the program.

Thank you, Laura, I am keeping my data as a backup in RootsMagic and to tinker with, but so far I will continue to use TMG as my primary program. I didn't mean to imply that there is a good guy or a bad guy.  :(  Sorry about the error in terminology, fix vs. control.

I am very appreciative to everyone who patiently responds to my queries.

Endless thanks from Elizabeth 

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:31 PM

Just to clarify: the Back button does use the History list. So by looking at the History list, you can see what the Back button is going to do.

You don't have to change an individual to get the individual into the History list. The basic idea is that simply accessing (highlighting) a person gets them into the History list. However (and in my humble opinion), there are some inconsistencies on exactly when an individual has been "sufficiently accessed" to get the person into the History list.

Jerry

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

In the less-likely event that you suspect ahead of time that you might want to revisit someone, there's also Bookmarks:

To bookmark a person
1. Highlight the person on the main screen, and press Ctrl+B, or do "Search, Bookmarks, Bookmark person" from the main menu.
2. With the Bookmark sidebar displayed, highlight a person on the main screen and click on the green + sign at the top of the sidebar.

To go to a bookmarked person
1. Select "Search, Bookmarks, Manage bookmarks" from the main menu or click on the Bookmark (center) tab with the icon of a book and red bookmark in the sidebar.
2. Select the navigation view in which you want to view the person.
3. Highlight the person you want to go to in the list, and click the "Go" button.

To delete a bookmarked person
1. Select "Search, Bookmarks, Manage bookmarks" from the main menu or click on the Bookmark (center) tab in the sidebar.
2. To delete a bookmarked person, highlight the person in the bookmark list and click the red "X" button.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

I use History so seldom that it could be deleted from the program, and I would never miss it.

When I am going to be entering research for a specific family, I will sometimes bookmark specific key family members

RM has too many ways to navigate to other people. Getting in a rut and Just using one way or combinations of ways all rhe time is not necesssrily the most efficient way for the current project.

I usually have the the choices at Tools, File options set to open RM with the last person, last view, and last side list view.

If I am going to be working a lot with a family, I will create a Group with those people. I can choose the Group as a filter on the People view. Then, I can change the Sidebar to another view or even a different Group. And I can change to different main views and come back to the People view with the original Group as the filter to choose another person when needed. If you close and reopen RM, you will need to reset the Group filter on that view.

When I am working with families, I also work a lot in the Descendants view, especially when I am working on 2 or 3 generations.

If I am.working on cleanup using a Grouo, I will have the Group in the Sidebar and the main view as the best view for that protect or possibly be changing back and forth in the Sidebar and main views as needed.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

I also use Named Groups a great deal when I'm going to be researching for a specific family, just like Laura described. Here is a new (and somewhat weird) trick I just learned having to do with Named Groups. Suppose I'm working on descendants of John Doe. I will make a Named Group consisting of John's grandchildren, or sometimes the Named Group will be the grandchildren plus the spouses of the grandchildren.

Let me describe first how to make the Named Group. Then I will explain how such a weird sounding Named Group can be useful. To make the Named Group, Mark John Doe and his descendants for three generations. Include or don't include spouses as meets your needs. Then unmark John Doe and his descendants for two generations, again including or not including spouses as meets your needs. The individuals who are left in the group are John's grandchildren.

Go into People View very briefly and set People View to display only the Named Group you just made for John Doe's grandchildren. People View will then become sort of a temporary "Favorites List" or "History List" or some such to help you navigate through John Doe's descendants. Do your work primarily in another view of your choice, probably Family View or Descendant View. Choose the sidebar of your choice, which probably won't be the Named Group sidebar. And start working on your data entry for John Doe's descendants. Any time you need to navigate temporarily between various of John Doe's descendant lines, switch temporarily to People View, choose the grandchild of choice, and immediately return to Family View or Descendant View as best meets your needs.

You could do the same thing with John Does's children or his great grandchildren, etc. instead of his grandchildren. But I find that the grandchildren's generation works best for this particular navigational purpose.

Jerry

#14 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

I am very appreciative of this helpful group, a big plus for RootsMagic. Thank you for all the time spent to figure out answers to my questions. I try everything suggested to see if it applies to my circumstances, plus I scan all the other posts for anything relevant to my particular issues. I subscribe to both the TMG-Refugee and the RootsMagic mailing lists as well as the TMG mailing list, in addition to tinkering with the program containing my imported database. This provides a pretty good idea of what RM will do and what it will not do when it comes to meeting my current expectations.

I plan to keep a backup copy of TMG in RootsMagic, but to continue to use TMG for my primary database at this time. No doubt I will be posting more queries on the website. Thank you all.

Elizabeth

#15 Mad dog

Mad dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Elizabeth - I use the "People View"  and have added the field "Last Edited" which shows the entire history of each record and when I edited it. I just sort by date. It may not give you what you want but it could help.

#16 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi Mad Dog, That is surely an interesting idea! I just now added the field to my People view and I will try it out. Thanks much. Elizabeth