18 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Another newbie question:
When I attempt to add a new shared Miscellaneous fact in RootsMagic, the name of the person with whom it is shared (selected from the database) is displayed only on the edit screen of [Principal2]. The place is shown, but no name.
I have checked the box for "share fact" and selected the name from the database.
Is it not the intention to show the names connected with shared facts on the edit screens of both principals? Or am I not explaining this understandably?
Any ideas of what am I doing incorrectly? or a workaround?
Many thanks for your help.
Elizabeth

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

For people who are not Principals and who share the fact, the name(s) of the Principal(s) are displayed in the Details column of the Edit Person screen. Click on the Share button to see the other people sharing the fact.

For Principal(s), the only way to see who the fact is shared with is to click the Share button. Well, that is not the only way - if the sentence template has the variable [OtherPersons] in it, the sentence preview will show them, too.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thank you again.
It appears that at this time I am not ready to start using RootsMagic as my primary genealogy software. The inability to navigate quickly and easily throughout the database by either double-clicking the names on the screen and/or with the History file is a deal breaker for me. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something. However I will keep on tinkering and watching for new features in updates and upgrades in RootsMagic. I appreciate the direct import of TMG data, and some of the RM features are appealing to me.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

It is interesting how different TMG users react to RootsMagic. There are some who migrated well before the end-of-support announcement who seemed to be very satisfied with RM and relieved to be rid of TMG. And there are some who are so wedded to TMG that the slightest inconsistency in an alternative is enough to deter them. And some in between... I suppose it is a complicated blend of factors ranging among how much they have exploited unique TMG characteristics, size of database, life expectancy, skills and personality, to name a few.

As for navigational speed and ease, one can double-click on names in the main views and sidebar to open an Edit Person screen and shift the focus in the main view and single click in the sidebar to shift focus (except Family which has the Go button also). While many RM users have wished for a flatter interface (TMG has), it would be interesting to compare navigational speeds between the same databases in TMG and RM to gain some understanding as to why you find it to be a deterrent. For very large databases, there might be a surprise in store...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

And what might I expect for a surprise? B)  I have a database of approximately 23,000 persons.

Thanks from Elizabeth

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:06 PM

Thank you again.
It appears that at this time I am not ready to start using RootsMagic as my primary genealogy software. The inability to navigate quickly and easily throughout the database by either double-clicking the names on the screen and/or with the History file is a deal breaker for me. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something. However I will keep on tinkering and watching for new features in updates and upgrades in RootsMagic. I appreciate the direct import of TMG data, and some of the RM features are appealing to me.

I don't quite understand your difficulty.  If I double-click on anyone already on the screen, the "edit person" screen opens in less than one second.

If the person of interest is not on the screen, Assume looking for "John Doe"

Goto Search>Person List>Then start typing the last name until the surname pops up, Then type a comma, Then start typing the subjects first name until the desired person pops up

At this point, there could be multiple instances of "Doe, John" on the screen.  Then scroll through the listed names till you find the desired "Doe, John"

Then double-click on the person or single-click on the "Select" button.

John Doe then shows on the screen in the Pedigree or whatever type family display is already selected.  Then double-click on John Doe as noted above in the first line of my explanation.

All of this takes far longer to explain than actually doing the search.

As far as I can tell, finding a person and then the time to display that person on the "edit person" screen appears to be independent of where the person is on the family tree. 

Vista 64 bit, 4 Gb memory, no solid state disk drive.  At least 5 year old system.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

Speed test.

Test 1

Request a pedigree chart with 4 generations per page, a name index, and a place index, with a request for 100 generations just to catch everyone.

The resulting report prepared on the screen took 8 seconds to display the first page with a total of 220 created pages.  The report was not actually printed.

Test 2

Request a narrative report with ancestors and children, a name index, and a place index, and endnote sources with a request for 100 generations just to catch everyone.

The resulting report prepared on the screen took 23 seconds to display the first page with a total of 493 created pages. The report was not actually printed.

#8 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I guess you could say I am wedded to TMG in that I have it set up to do just what I want and how I want it for the series of awesome ancestry journal reports I have published. After 20 or so years of use, I could not have asked for more. Although I am kindly disposed, or at least not averse, to looking about for more current software for the future, I am hoping to find something which will meet my needs as well as be available to my children and grandchildren in the event they are interested in continuing my work. I am an ole lady of 88 years and my database contains approximately 23,000 persons from countless years of research.

My intention at the moment is to keep a current backup of TMG in RootsMagic, while continuing to maintain the TMG database for my personal use and awaiting what other options might turn up down the line. I can be tinkering with RM to determine which features I like better, which I can adjust to, and which are deal breakers.

To John, I am accustomed to double-clicking on the name wherever it appears in someone's else's page, and the info pops right up in front of me without any scrolling or selecting. At this time it seems to be a deal breaker for me with such a large database. But thanks for the thought.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

And what might I expect for a surprise? B)  I have a database of approximately 23,000 persons.

The surprise might be that you get there faster with RootsMagic than with TMG even if there were more clicks. I don't know if that is the case but your database is large enough to magnify the differences.

#10 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

Shared facts are one of RM's more powerful and complicated features. They are particularly complicated when it comes to how they are presented in the book format reports where English sentences are generated to represent each fact. My suggestion here is to use shared facts only for a few well tested cases, where roles are well defined, such as marriage (witnesses), wills (heirs, executors, mentions, etc) and census (was present). Trying to share a miscellaneous event may lead to unpredicted results in the output.

#11 Sherman Peabody

Sherman Peabody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

One place that RM could greatly enhance the data entry process (cut down on clicks, etc.)  --

At any point where I want to select a person or persons, use the current focus person as a "home point" in the index.  A great deal of the time I will be selecting a family member and there is a good chance they will pop up on the select screen if the index display would just move to the current person automatically.  Put the current person at the top or in the middle either one.  This would likely save a log of moving from mouse to keyboard to type a name.  Another option (that Legacy has) -- put check boxes next to the family members on the right side of the select window so I can select people there without searching the list.  This idea would also benefit from the focus person's family automatically populating the right side of the select window.  Even without the check boxes it would be a great reference tool while selecting.

#12 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. These are not necessarily or even likely family members I am including in shared facts. IMHO, there is really no satisfactory substitute for just having the names show up on the screens of both sharer and sharee. Just a thought.

Thanks for helping though, :)

Elizabeth

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8721 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

One place that RM could greatly enhance the data entry process (cut down on clicks, etc.)  --

At any point where I want to select a person or persons, use the current focus person as a "home point" in the index.  A great deal of the time I will be selecting a family member and there is a good chance they will pop up on the select screen if the index display would just move to the current person automatically.  Put the current person at the top or in the middle either one.  This would likely save a log of moving from mouse to keyboard to type a name.  Another option (that Legacy has) -- put check boxes next to the family members on the right side of the select window so I can select people there without searching the list.  This idea would also benefit from the focus person's family automatically populating the right side of the select window.  Even without the check boxes it would be a great reference tool while selecting.

Have you tried working with the Sidebar open to the Family tab so you can move through the family members?

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Sherman Peabody

Sherman Peabody

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

I did not explain myself well. Probably the place I have wanted this enhancement most is when I select people with whom to share a fact.  A separate "Select People" window pops up and it always lists the index beginning with the first person in my database of 21,000 people.  At that point there is no Family tab.  With any modestly large database, the only reasonable choice is to leave the mouse and type enough of the name that you get close to the people you are looking for. Of course I haven't checked all of the places the "Select People" window pops up, but I would imagine the vast majority (if not all) of them would be in the context of a specific person you are editing.  If the "Select People" index would just automatically move to the current person and display his/her data in the right-hand panel, I think it would almost always take you close to the people you are trying to select and save a bunch of time and keystrokes.

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

That's a cool idea and should be really easy to implement.

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

Keep the one hand on the mouse and type in the name with the other hand.

Start typing in as much of the surname as needed to move to that surname on the list. Type a comma and start typing the given name.

#17 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

There are a number of other places in RM where this same idea would be extremely useful. One that I have been encountering a lot recently is that I have somebody highlighted in my database (the view doesn't matter - Family View, Descendant View, etc.) and I want to create a Named Group with a few generations of the person's descendants. When I go into the dialog to create the Named Group, I have to go find the person again even though the person is already highlighted.

It's hard to see a downside to this approach. For example, suppose you wanted to go somewhere else entirely in the list of people. All you have to do is to start typing the last name. But that's what you have to do anyway if you are pre-positioned at the beginning of the list instead of at the current person.

Of course, an additional enhancement that would be very useful in this regard would be for the right click menu to have a few more items when you right click on a person. Right click -> color code and right click -> new Named Group would both be extremely useful, for example. I already use right click -> reports all the time to do a one generation narrative report to check the formatting of the data for the person in a narrative report. Laura does the same thing by adding a report button to the toolbar, but I like the right click.

Jerry

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8721 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 neilbell

neilbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Excellent idea, I hope this will be implemented.  I could see manu uses for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: facts, shared