5 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Question from a newbie:

How can I set the history search box not to clear automatically when I close the program?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Elizabeth Tilton

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

There is no such option. If you remember, you could set Bookmarks for people you wish to return to or even a Named Group. These are stored in the database and will be available in the next session.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Elizabeth Tilton

Elizabeth Tilton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hi Tom,
Thank you for the information.

I am working with a database of 23,000 persons imported from The Master Genealogist, and looking to replicate the View feature in TMG which is basically a bookmark file with the last 15 persons accessed, and which does not disappear when the program is closed. I am trying your advice about the RM Bookmarks file, which could be a kind of replacement were it not so clumsy to use. And I have to remember to bookmark every person I access in the database.

I am keeping my options open with respect to a program which will accept (for which I am most grateful) direct transfer from TMG. Perhaps in the next upgrade for RootsMagic there will be some changes more acceptable to us TMG users.

Many thanks from Elizabeth.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

That would be an enhancement request. Beside Bookmarks, your other options are to use the Date Last Edited or color-code people as you go. I don't know that I would find it particularly useful to me to have my navigation trail recalled from the previous session. Another option is to create To Do tasks, assuming that the reason you want to go back is because there is something you want to do for that person.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

There is no such option.

There has long been a wishlist item requesting this feature be added to RM.

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic