• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Queencole

Queencole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm sure someone will put me straight on this pretty quickly !

I have family members who have a partner, not a spouse, and I don't know how to deal with this.  I have tried entering a new Fact type of Partner but it still seems to treat it as a spouse.  I now want to indicate, somehow, that this person, say Fred, is no longer the partner of Freda from a particular date forward.  Freda doesn't have a new partner, but I can't find a way of  stopping Fred still appearing as a spouse, so I thought I would just enter fact type Partner again and just enter No-one.  The trouble is RootsMagic seems to think of partner as a spouse, because that's the box that comes up when I select Partner, and Spouse shows on screen at the top of the person box.   I really would appreciate some help on this. 

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

Spouse is just a label. No one has yet come up with a better label that most of the users that have discussed this on these forums in the past could agree on.

RM doesn't assume a couple linked together as spouses were married unless you also link the marriage fact.

If you open one of the Edit person screens for one of the partner's and highlight the Spouse line, you can choose the relationship of each partner in the drop down menus for each partner. The labels on the Family view will change and those labels will be printed on a Family Group Sheet.

Leave the partner linked as part of the couple as Spouse.

Creste a new user defined Family fact, perhaps named, Broke up, Parted ways, or whatever you want to name it. Link that user defined fact to the couple as you would a Divorce fact.

Personally unless that couple had children together or the relationship was long term, I would just delete the ex partner from the database.